Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM11 crashing when I import files

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to import an image into FM11 which is in pdf format. I get as far as Import - File - Select File, before FM crashes. Every single time. I've tried importing other pdf files, and FM still crashes. However, when I import 'normal' images files - .tifs or .jpegs, I don't have the same problem. I really need to be able to import the pdfs though. What should I do in this case?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything (graphically) complex about the page from the PDF that you are trying to import? You could always create an EPS of the PDF page that you want to import and then import that into FM.

Note: FM internally converts PDF pages to EPS anyway, so you're already saving FM some additional work during the import step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pdf is created by my diagramming software (Smartdraw) so converting it to an eps would add an additional step on my side. I would prefer, obviously, that FM be able to import the pdf without crashing, as it did before I 'upgraded' to v11.

What you have suggested is a workaround, rather than a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ruled out that Smartdraw (i.e. the NovaPDF printre instance) isn't doing anything odd in the PDFs? There are lots of options in the PDF creation at the Smartdraw end. Try the lowest level of PDF features & oldest PDF version supported to see if this helps.

Another test would be to open a PDF (that causes FM to crash) in Acrobat and then do a SaveAs to create a new, cleaned-up PDF version. Try importring that one to see if it also crashes FM11. If it doesn't, then you have your smoking gun. If it does, then there's a a bug in the filter that you need to report using this link:

FrameMaker Bugs & Wish List

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything further on this post? We use graphics created in Adobe Illustrator set to use pdf as the standard output. This is for all our graphics. Since FM 7ish we have been importing by ref with no issues. We typically are VERY slow to change versions of FM. FM11 is being tested now (using 10). If this is a bug we will not go to 11 until resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PDFs created from Illustrator should be fine (and there hasn't been any change in the import filter from FM10 to 11). The PDFs created by another tool using their own custom printer-driver approach was in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines