Skip navigation
Alexander.Rojas
Currently Being Moderated

USB Mic only recording to Right channel, is this normal? (Mac)

Apr 11, 2013 1:54 AM

Tags: #usb #mac #mic #fill_left #fill_right

I recently picked up this USB mic: http://www.amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AI QGUO

I've used the microphone on Skype, iMovie, and a few video games, and playback has all been normal (both ears). Are those programs just playing mono in both ears, or are they pulling actual stereo from my mic? I see some mics advertised as "stereo microphones", which is confusing me.

I know about Fill Left/Right, which works fine, but is that what I have to do every time I want to narrate? And if so, is there a way to have a Fill effect auto-applied to all my recordings? Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to Alexander.Rojas

AudioOutputMapping.png

AdaptiveAudioTrack.png

If your timeline audio track looks like the image above, it's an adaptive audio track and it's adapting to mono to match the mono mike input.  Use a standard track instead.  This is all in CS6.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to Alexander.Rojas

is there a way to have a Fill effect auto-applied to all my recordings?

You can apply the effect to the whole track in the Mixer, so that any clip in that track will have that effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to Alexander.Rojas

So from this I can assume I'm not using a standard track

If your audio track doesn't look like the one in the image (no dashed line, no circuit-look icon), then it's either a 5.1 track, a Standard track or a Mono track.  The image below shows what Standard and Mono tracks look like.

AudioTrackTypes.png

If you have a Standard track, then I don't know what the problem could be.  When I record to a Standard track with my mono USB mic, I get sound out of both speakers.  Maybe a driver issue?

Jeff

EDIT: Are you using CS6?  We haven't established that for sure yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to Alexander.Rojas

You're not losing any audio quality.  You're just losing time because of having to manipulate the audio after it's recorded.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to Alexander.Rojas

Alexander.Rojas wrote:

I've used the microphone on Skype, iMovie, and a few video games, and playback has all been normal (both ears). Are those programs just playing mono in both ears, or are they pulling actual stereo from my mic? I see some mics advertised as "stereo microphones", which is confusing me.

I don't see in your post where you described HOW you're recording.  Are you using Audition, or the Pr voice over tool?

You replied that your audio looks like Jeff's first reply picture.  That means you're recording to the left channel of a stereo track. You would expect playback to be on the left track.  If you record onto a mono track, the default playback will come out of both channels.

If you create a mono track and record into that, your future problems will be solved. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Good point about the Mono track, Jim.

What's strange about this to me is that I can record with my mono mic into a Standard track and still get stereo audio and hear both channels, yet Alexander can't. 

Jeff

EDIT: Correction to what I said before (and have now deleted).  My mono mic is being recorded into a Standard track as Stereo, channels 1 and 2.  I was looking at a pre-recorded mono file earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to Alexander.Rojas

In Jeff Bellunes screen shot (April 11, 10:21)

Look at the track header to the smal icon (4 small sqaures) that appears immediately to the left of the word :Audio in the wave form (green).  If you click on this symbol, it will bring up a dialog that will allow you to assign the track that has audio to both the left and right channels.  Once set, this applies to all audio clips placed on that track.  You don't need to re-record each clip, or apply the :Fill Left or Fill Right effects to each clip.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points