Skip navigation
HydrologyPerth
Currently Being Moderated

Color Management - the dreaded question yet again!!!

Apr 11, 2013 1:19 AM

Tags: #photoshop #color #cs6 #management

Looking for definitve help as I am wasting a lot of expensive ink AND paper!!! But more importantly, I need to be sure that my file(s) that is going out to other comapnies (Society 6 etc) will print out pretty much how I see them on the monitor!

First of all the equipment I'm using:-

Adobe CS6 Creative Suite

Apple 27 iMac (late 2011)

Spyder 4 Pro Display Calibrator

Epson R3000 Printer

My problem - I am simply NOT getting consistent or predictable results between what I see on my calibrated monitor versus what gets printed out on my Epson R3000 using the correct ICC paper profile.

This is something Ive been plagued with for a while but ever since Ive started doing more graphic design work within Photoshop instead of my photography, color saturation, brightness and contrast need to be spot on, and they seem more shifted in brightness, contrast, and saturation. Ive watched the CreativeLIVE course with Eddie Tapp on Color Management, but it hasnt really answered the questions I need answered!

So here's my workflow, and tell me what I need to change to get more consistent results.

I ensure that my monitor calibration profile is the default profile for the computer. I start a new file in PS CS6 using sRGB as the color space. I design my image, and get ready to print. In PS's print settings, I ensure that "Photoshop Manages Colors" is selected, that the correct Printer/Paper profile is selected, and I choose Relative Colorimetric. I print the image, and it is more heavily saturated than the on screen version! So I decide to use the "Soft Proof" settings prior to printing to get a look at the simulated print BEFORE printing and wasting paper and ink. I do so, choosing the paper profile, and notice for this particularimage, only one part of the image changes (brighter with Soft Proof ON). However, when I print this image the the print look more like the original, rather than the Soft Proof!

Them this is where I really pull my hair out! I save this image for the web(using sRGB, which is the colour space its already in), and upload it for sale (its their preferred color space too). The image on their site looks more washed out than whats on my screen, in Photoshop - why is this so? This is furtration as I need to be the sure that prospective clients get a print that looks close to my artitci intent, but this workflow seems to suggest that that wont be the case! And dispite finding that monitors generally have more saturated colors than prints, why am I finding the opposite to be true??

I read ALL on Gary Ballard's site and understand it, but Im not having the success I should be having. Its affecting my confidence in design, if I cant get the simple task of color management under control even with the right tools for the job. HELP!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

Forgive me for having gotten lost in your wordy original post.  Too long and not legible on a screen in such massive paragraphs. 

Many possibilities here:

• Your monitor profile is hosed (corrupt), or it wasn't properly calibrated and profiled (faulty calibrator puck);

• Your monitor is of the uncalibratable wide-gamut kind;

• Your web browser is not color managed, or its color management has not been configured.

etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

HydrologyPerth wrote:

…if I cant get the simple task of color management under control even with the right tools for the job…

I'd at least question whether an iMac—any iMac— is "the right tool for the job", but that's open to debate, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 4:31 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

HydrologyPerth wrote:

Well I dont see the need to pick apart my computer choice selection…

I obviously do.

That's why I wrote: "…but that's open to debate, of course."

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to HydrologyPerth

I read ALL on Gary Ballard's site and understand it, but Im not having the success I should be having

i would point you here for a review of the short answer:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html#theory

then a Photoshop Manages Color print workflow

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/epson/cs6/

as station_two points out you may do better asking short specific questions...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to gator soup

You have to do two settings in photoshop manages color. One is the printer paper profile directly below the selection of Ps Manages....  , the other is  on the left, under "Print Settings" where you set the general paper type.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to Lundberg02

I have no experience with a Mac but in Windows one needs to disable Color Management in the printer driver when choosing to let Photoshop manages color otherwise you get double profiling which causes big problems.

Could that be the case?

Ronald

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to Ronald Keller

No, you don't -- the driver disables it's color controls as long as the application is managing color.

Most of the double conversion situations are caused by user error (using printer manages color) or bugs in the printer driver code.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

Now I am confused.

This is the setting I use. Is this not correct?

12-04-2013 21-52-20.jpg

Is it not what PS tells here:

12-04-2013 21-56-05.jpg

Ronald

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to Ronald Keller

Some drivers now disable their color management automatically if Photoshop is chosen to manage colors. But it is not universal, nor does it work this way with all adobe products.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to charles badland

It should work with all of the color managed products, and any driver that follows the OS guidelines and has been tested by the OS vendors.

When the application is managing colors, the driver must disable it's internal color controls.

And yes, that message in Photoshop is WAY out of date.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

In our teaching lab with CS5 installed, Photoshop did disable CM in the print driver while AI and maybe Acrobat you still had to select that manually.

Need to check again to be sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 12:59 AM   in reply to charles badland

Chris and Charles,

Thank you.

Ronald

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...