Skip navigation
cazT1985
Currently Being Moderated

Burning from Adobe Encore - Jumpy Footage

Apr 11, 2013 8:42 AM

Tags: #burning #encore #footage #jumpy

Hi everyone!

I know there is loads of discussions already about this but none seem to solve my problem. I have a 41 minute video, shot on 1080P and encoded in Media Encoder to MPEG2 DVD for mass DVD production. This seemed to work fine, I set the bit rates as follows:

Bitrate Encoding - VBR 2 pass

Minimum bitrate - 2.8

Target Bitrate - 7

Maximum bitrate - 8

When I play the coverted footage in VLC from ym laptop the footage is fine and the quality has not been affected much. But when I bring the project into Encore for DVD authoring and menus, the footage on the preview window is jumping, this is also on the DVD and when played in a DVD player. Just wondering what I could be doing wrong, I am new to encoding and burning a DVD from HD to SD quality.

Hopefully you can help, this discussion board has been my saviour over the past week!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to cazT1985

What version of ame/encore?

What is the framerate, and what is the field status? That is often what "jumping" relates to.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to cazT1985

dissapointedly without any help or caring from this forum

It's less than 24 hours since your first post.  A bit impatient, don't you think?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to cazT1985

>without any help

Since this is a user to user forum, not Adobe support, that means that you need to wait until some other user reads your message AND has help to offer

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to cazT1985

Yes, sorry I was unable to follow up on your response to me. I was just not available.

Two options for looking at footage and getting info:

Gspot <a href="herehttp://gspot.headbands.com/">here</a>

Media Info <a href="Linkhttp://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download/">Link</a>

BTW, unless your footage is now okay in Encore, I do not assume your problem with Encore was solved. (I am 100% behind getting the job done, and that you did.) All video is put onto DVDs interlaced (and can be upper or lower etc); it is the player that interprets the indicators to make it progressive on playback. (Players capable of progressive playback used to be a big thing.)

Your footage I assume is PAL, since you have 25fps. All of the above can be relevant, and you can have issues at each step of the workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to cazT1985

Interesting, I had the same problem today. Here's my scenario:

Client brought 720x480 AVI file to me to author.

First, I imported it into Pr CS6, adjusted the audio level, added some black video at the end, then rendered to MPEG-2 DVD.

Brought the M2V and WAV files created above into Encore.

When I went to make the DVD, it failed on writing with the PCG error in "file  name" 00:00, etc.

There was discussion on this in the forums but no solution that applied to my scenario (no subtitles in this project).

I trimmed the very beginning of the file about 1/2 second, still same error.

Re-exported the M2V/WAV files from Pr with various adjustments to the settings. Same error in Encore.

Then, I happened to notice the playback video in Encore was jumpy--every second or so, the picture would jump horizontally.

This was most prominent on advancing and receding stills. Note: these same images looked fine when palying back in Premiere.

So, I'm thinking, the problem is in the rendering out of Pr.

I brought the client's original AVI file into Encore and it played back fine.

I then had Encore do the transcoding of the AVI file.

I left the exported audio file alone as I had changed the level in Pr, so it was fine in Encore.

This is a serious matter. I've never had any problem in Premiere Pro 2.0 and Encore DVD 2.0.

But I'm certainly haviing problems in CS6.

Final note, when I exited and reopened Encore, the playback is jumpy again!

Like the transcoded files are suspect after producing a perfect DVD earlier?

Good thing I could make copies from the DVD master, rather than having to rely on Encore to do it...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to thetasound

What are the specs of the avi file? (divX and a variety of formats/codecs can be in avi's).

What is the specific/full PGC error? I don't think we've seen any PGC errors in CS6 that are not specific errors - not the odd errors of CS3.

when I exited and reopened Encore, the playback is jumpy again!

Were you working in the same project that had the problems before? I wonder if it reverted to the "old" transcodes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Original AVI file:

File Path: V:\Tom Solari\Master Sequence 6_6.avi

Type: AVI Movie

File Size: 2.4 GB

Image Size: 720 x 480

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Mono

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono

Total Duration: 00;11;39;14

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.2121

Created with: Adobe Media Encoder CS4

Project: \\?\G:\Constitution\Videos\ISOL Video Intro\ISOL Video Intro 13.prproj

AVI File details:

Timecode:

User Timecode: 00;00;00;00

Contains 1 video track(s) and 1 audio track(s).

Interleave: 1 : 28.96

Video track 1:

Size is 2.34G bytes (average frame = 120.31K bytes)

There are 20964 keyframes.

Frame rate is 29.970 fps

Frame size is 720 x 480

Depth is 24 bits.

Audio track 1:

Size is 64.04M bytes

Rate is 48000 samples/sec

Sample size is 16 bits

Additional information:

2013-04-17T02:13:56.0003-07:00

==========

As for the "old" transcodes, don't know how that would be as the AVI file had a completely different name.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan,

Breaking news...

Just for fun, I decided to play the M2V file outside of Encore in Windows Media Player.

The same M2V file that jumps when played in Encore, plays back perfectly in WMP.

What the hey? Have we got an Encore playback engine issue here?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to thetasound

As for the "old" transcodes, don't know how that would be as the AVI file had a completely different name.

Yes, that should prevent that.

So the client exported from CS4 in an odd format (your information does not include the codec, and it is mono audio). We don't have field information.

Try exporting from Premiere as MPEG2-DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Remember, his AVI file played perfectly in Premiere CS6.

Premiere's exported M2V file (using the standard MPEG-2 DVD setting) plays perfectly in WMP, and imperfectly in Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to thetasound

I didn't see your post 15 before I posted 16.

Lots of files play okay even though they may edit with issues. And a file can play well and show as needing transcoding in Encore - and then not play well. The fact that it plays well is helpful, but does not eliminate the possibility of other issues.

An AVI file could be anything. True, the pixel size and par, the filesize in terms of duration, could be DV. The audio is odd. I just don't know.

"Jumpy" very frequently means field issues. So far we know nothing about fields. And, outside Encore, we wouldn't necessarily expect to see problems. It depends on settings at every step.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points