Skip navigation
seegram
Currently Being Moderated

automatic relinking based on file type

Apr 11, 2013 9:16 AM

Tags: #illustrator #relink #link #command_line_options

Is it possible to automatically relink based on file type? I have hundreds of illustrator files that need three images in each changed out for a updated versions. It just so happens that the three all have different file extensions.

It seems that there should be a way to have illustrator replace the one .jpg file with another .jpg file (named differently) that's in the same location as the old file. Is there some type of more powerful scripting interface for illustrator besides the actions? vbscripting or something?

I realize that this isn't a normally supported feature of the links panel. I know that I can open each file and manually relink them as I open them. Hoping to save some time. I have to do this a couple times a year as we get in fresh images that we want to stuff into the same presentation format.

The file names contain timestamps that need to remain there so simply renaming the new files to match the old ones isn't an option either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to seegram

Which version of Illustrator are you using ?

Apart from that, you could probably benefit from dynamic linked files variables (see Variables palette).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to seegram

Not sure what you mean by "a better way".

I was just pointing to the Variables route as one way you might want to try.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to seegram

seegram wrote:

Is there some type of more powerful scripting interface for illustrator besides the actions? vbscripting or something?

Yup AI supports… Adobe's ExtendScript (platform independent), AppleScript (mac) & Visual Basic (pc)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points