Skip navigation
Kevin.Mur
Currently Being Moderated

Low quality vector images in InDesign

Apr 11, 2013 9:23 AM

I am trying to place a vector image in InDesign that I made in Illustrator (saved as .png), however, when I place it, it ends up being low quality and jagged.  Dsiplay performance is set to High Quality, and the image changes in quality when I alter the size, which obviously should not be happening.  Any ideas as to what is happening here and how to fix it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

The PNG, a bitmap image format, will only be faithful at 100% of the file's pixel dimensions. Altering its size (mainly upwards in size) will affect the quality. Place the AI file instead.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

trying to place a vector image...   ...(saved as .png)...  ...and the image changes in quality when I alter the size

PNG, a bitmap image format

What you're placing isn't vectors. Why save as .png?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

I've had the same problem trying to place the .ai file, as well as .pdf and .jpg versions

All three of those formats can, (.ai, .pdf), or must, (.jpg), contain raster data. What is the origin of the graphic?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

Can you share the AI file either publically or privately? In either case, upload it to dropbox.com and provide a link here in the forum or to one of use via a private message.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

Hello Kevin,

Using Live Paint can create as many issues as it resolves. You would need to expand the LP, get rid of the white background (unless you need it, and also get rid of all the white letter shapes and logo shapes that hide behind your art.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/WC-logo-vector_modified.ai

capture-000221.png

Screen shot is from ID with a green rectangle behind the logo. The link is to a fixed file (there are still tracing issues on some letters), but you should also open your file and look to how to fix it as well.

Take care, Mike

Edit to add. I also used a font's registered symbol and outlined it.

Message was edited by: MikeWenzloff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

Can you show the menu for your display quality? Cause it looks like Typical, not the higher quality setting.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

I'll be too busy for a while to get to it, but I'll annotate the original file a little to show you what to look for when tracing and Live Paint are used.

You can set it to High Quality in preferences (if I recall properly) for all new documents.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to Kevin.Mur

Hello Kevin. Sorry this got away from me last night.

Have the Layers panel open so you can watch what is happening...

1. Select the Live Paint group
    2. Object | Live Paint | Expand
    3. Ungroup twice
    4. Click on the Pasteboard
    5. Click on the White background rectangle
    6. Hit the Delete key
    7. Click in the center of one of the "O" characters.
    8. Select | Same | Fill color
    9. Hit Delete

Done--with the exception of replacing the Registered symbol (it didn't trace well). As well, I would take the time to clean up some of the leter edges by deleting nodes.

Do note that various other tracings and use of Live Paint may/will result in different approaches to dealing the extraneous "stuff" in the files. And if your present need had areas of white color that needed to be preserved, there would have been different steps (like one could not have simply used step #8 without thought).

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points