Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to save files with automatic consecutive numbering?

Apr 11, 2013 11:31 AM

I've been searching the forum and the Internet but can't find an answer to my problem.

I need Photoshop to save my files with automatic consecutive numbering.

Here's what I am doing. I have lots of image files with several photos and/or negatives scanned in each image file. I need to individually select every photo or negative to be able to cut and paste in a new file and then saving every pasted photo/negative in a separate image file.

Now, I have automated the cut and paste process, and also recorded some effects with Actions, but when I come to saving the files I always get prompted to enter a file name no matter if I record the save as "Save" or "Save as".

So here is my question: Is it possible to make Photoshop saving each file automatically with an automatically assigned number? Example: Photo0003.tif, and the next file Photo0004.tif, and so forth. Just so I won't need to enter a file name manually each time?

Saving by Batch processing is not a solution since every file I open have to be divided into like 12 new separate files and saved with different names.

Regarding Photoshop version, I use both CS2, CS5 and could sit with another machine with CS6 if thats whats needed for the job.

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Martin_Moore

You need the help of script…

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Martin_Moore

It sounds like you are manually creating new images from a single open image - if that's the case then the inital 'save-as' has to be a manual process. Unless there's some scripting that could be made for that first save. You could investigate that here. You could make that a pretty simple manual quick step by using a x-digit numeric file naming like 001, 002, 003 etc. As long as you work in the same save-in folder PS will call up the previous filename to start, leaving only a single digit to change (I think). When you have that editing step done you can go back and use a batch in PS or batch rename in Adobe Bridge or a slick third party app like Bulk Rename Utility (win) to rename your files enmass.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 3:33 AM   in reply to Martin_Moore

File > Automate > Batch could do this.

Select your recorded action in the top section, use Opened Files for the source, and set 4 Digit Serial Number in the Destination - File Naming section. Make sure Override Action "Save As" Commands is checked.

Edit: To get around the problem of doing a few images at a time, change the Starting serial# to one digit higher than the last image saved.

Batch.jpg

Message was edited by: ja3754

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to Martin_Moore

You need to visit the PS scripting forum.  Believe there is one there. http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_scripting

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Martin_Moore

With your original image containing the 12 scanned photos, go to File > Automate > Crop and Straighten Photos. This should give you 12 separate image files (plus your original scan, which you can close).

If necessary, rotate any of the images to the correct orientation.

I'm presuming you have any extra processing that needs to be done on the images saved as an action. There is no need for this action to have any "Save As" or file naming steps as this will be taken care of by the Batch processing.

With the 12 separate files still open, follow the steps on my previous post (ie. File > Automate > Batch). Make sure you set a destination folder and set up the options as in my previous post. You can set the base filename to whatever you want (e.g. "Photo"), but make sure the 4 Digit Serial Number and extension are set.

Use the Starting serial# to set the starting number for the files saved. For the first batch the Starting serial# will be the default "1", for the next batch of 12 set it to "13", the next batch set it to "25", and so on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to ja3754

To correct my previous post: It seems the action that is run during the Batch processing does need a "Save" step, but make sure the Override Action "Save As" Commands is still checked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points