It's taken an hour or so, but I've managed to whittle down what I
believe is a nasty bug that can cause InDesign to crash, or worse, to
silently delete footnotes. Try this:
Create a text frame.
Type this text "Cram" without quotes.
With the cursor after the "m", insert a footnote. Type some words in the
Now, in the find GREP field, type "(m)(~F)" which searches for an s
followed by a footnote marker
In the replace field, type "sh$2", which should replace the m with sh.
Click on "Change all".
Repeat the above, but instead of clicking on "change all", click on
Result: The most obvious is that you've lost the footnote. Bad. But
apart from that, the replace hasn't really worked properly.
I've only tested this in CS6 on Windows. Do you get the same result?
That does seem to be a possible workaround. I guess it's because a
positive lookahead doesn't actually remove the footnote marker -- just
pokes at it to see if it's there, so to speak. Whereas in my version,
InDesign is probably actually removing the footnote marker, and then
trying to replace it. But of course, while that may work with most
things, the moment you remove a footnote marker, you've lost the
footnote. So trying to replace it with $1 causes some kind of error.
One would have to be aware and mindful of the bug, though, to remember
to use the workaround. Not ideal!
There is another Grep problem with footnotes: . doesn't match it. That means that in a paragraph that contains a footnote, ^.+ matches from the beginning of the paragraph up to the footnote marker, not, as you would expect, to the end of the paragraph.