Skip navigation
Tami KB
Currently Being Moderated

DW CC6, Contribute, & Coldfusion

Apr 11, 2013 5:32 PM

Tags: #cs6 #coldfusion #contribute #creative_cloud #dw

I have a long time client who uses Contribute for the non-dynamic portions of a Coldfusion website. With Creative Cloud, Contribute is no longer available. However, I find it interesting that DW still offers "Contribute Compatibility" and "Manage site in Contribute" options (only to throw errors that Contribute is not available).

How am I to set up and manage new Contribute connections for this client when Contribute is not in CC? And I don't buy the "Contribute is being discontinued as a Adobe mistake" argument. Contribute 6.5 is in the works.

Since the site is a very large Coldfusion driving E-commerce site, it doesn't fit into a Business Catalyst profile of normal sites.

Am I stuck or could there possibly be plans on including Contribute in a Cloud subscription? Given the breadth of other products offered, I do not see how including it would be of severe detriment to the company. If it will NOT be offered in the cloud, What is a developer to do in this type of situation?

Thanks for any input, advice, or suggestions!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 10:51 PM   in reply to Tami KB

Hi Tami,

I am sorry that you are facing these problems. I have requested the concerned people to investigate and get back to you.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:50 PM   in reply to Tami KB

Adobe Contribute is not part of Creative Cloud but it will continue to be available as a point product. The Contribute engineering team will continue to provide updates and enhancements such as compatibility with Firefox, Internet Explorer, Windows 8, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Office and other workflows which are important to Adobe Contribute customers. The future roadmap for Contribute includes support for HTML5 and compatibility with new versions of Adobe Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to Tami KB

I don't use Contribute or sell it as part of what I do.  That said, I think most developers have long ago switched to server-side CMS solutions.  Giving clients the ability to conveniently edit content from a browser makes more long term sense than making them purchase stand alone software which may or may not be supported in the future.  Inasmuch as you're building the site with CF anyway, how hard would it be to add a simple CMS?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Tami KB

OK. Why not use server-side includes with some static pages they could edit with CK Editor?  Just tossing out ideas here...

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points