Skip navigation
John Ellenberger
Currently Being Moderated

Aliasing of Static Images

Apr 12, 2013 4:32 AM

Tags: #image #static #aliasing

I filmed a presentation where most of the content was slides scanned from old books and catalogs.  To improve viewability I took the presenter's powerpoints, wrote them to .pdf and then individually scaled them in Photoshop.  I then went into to each slide and saved the individual images as separate images (he had them all in .jpeg so I am stuck with that).  It didn't look bad inside premiere but once I export it to an .mp4 the old images with lots of lines tend to crawl and its quite distracting.  You did a little test video on the first slide:

https://vimeo.com/63505591

Anyone know the best way to stop this before I jump into editing.   I don't have access to the original documents--just the scans that were embedded in the slides.  Also since there are 80 slides I am hoping the suggestion won't be something like "rescale all 80+ slides."

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to John Ellenberger

I suspect you may have resampled the images using Photoshop's default "Bicubic Automatic", which applies what some would say is an egregious amount of sharpening during downsampling.

I suggest changing the default resampling to just plain "Bicubic" and trying again.  Bicubic resampling is better about not making artifacts.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to John Ellenberger

Who says it's "Best for Reduction"?  What I'm trying to tell you is that it isn't; that it oversharpens.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2013 8:56 PM   in reply to John Ellenberger

Maybe you could get more useful advice on the Premiere forum regarding prepping images for best video presentation.  Not having done video myself, I'm just making educated guesses as to what might be the issue.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points