Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I am trying to follow a Muvipix tutorial

Apr 12, 2013 10:50 AM

which shows how to gradually go from B&W to colour in a movie clip.

If I have understood correctly, the entire clip is changed into B&W from colour using the FX Effects tool. Then, after, say, 30% a keyframe is inserted which marks the beginning of the slow transition. A few feet down track, and another keyframe is inserted which marksApplied Effects.jpg

the beginning of full colour. In between these two keyframes is where the transition gradually takes shape using the Saturation bar (Adjust | Colour).

However, in my Applied Effects, I have two Black & Whites (I am not sure why), and I am unable to see how I can insert those keyframes that are required. This is what I can see in Elements 11 (attached).

If anyone could sugegst how I may insert a keyframe, I would be grateful.

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

It appears that the B/W Effect has been added to the Clip twice. Just Delete (Trashcan icon) the bottom one.

Next, go to the little "Stopwatch" at the very top of the Applied Effects Panel, and click it (the one by the >> symbol), to open up the mini-Effects Timeline, where you will see your Keyframes.

Does that help?

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] I just checked the B/W Effect, and it is not directly Keyframeable. Let me explore that some more. In the meantime, can you post the link to Steve Grisetti's Muvipix tutorial, so that I can see exactly what he did? TIA

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just experimented with first converting a color Clip to B/W w/ HSL Tuner Effect, and then Keyframed the change over time, to convert the Clip back to full color. I only adjusted the Saturation (-100 for all colors in the beginning) and then added Keyframes for all colors, adjusting the Saturation (0 for all colors at that point). The Clip begins in B/W, and then transitions to full color. Here is a look at the mini-Effects Timeline for the Saturation settings in the HSL Tuner Effect:

PrE11_B-W_Effect.png

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS - for some cool effects, maybe Keyframe the individual colors at different times, for the "return" to full color, so that, say Magenta comes in first, then Cyan, etc.. How that changes the transition time from B/W to full color, will depend on the colors in your Clip - experiment.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

That looks a lot like the illustration in the book, Bill! Are you working from the book, Steve?

BTW, any reason why you posted a Muvipix question here instead of on Muvipix.com? I mean, I'm here as often as I'm there -- but you might as well go right to the source, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve G.,

Is that your new Tips & Tricks book?

I need to get that puppy on order, as the updates for PrE 11 will be very useful to me - still learning my way around that version.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 10:24 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Another way to go from B&W to color is to first cut your clip.  Apply the B&W effect to one half of the clip and leave the other half in color.   Then apply a cross dissolve transition between the two clip halves.  This will cause a smooth transition from B&W to color.  You can adjust the length of the cross dissolve to make the change quick or long.

Allan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to alsclips

And that trick is also in the book, Allan!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

That "deleting existing Keyframes" indicates that you have clicked on the Reset "stopwatch." You do not want that.

Once you have set the first Keyframes, then for each color, where changes are desired, just move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to the desired point, and click on the Add Keyframe button (the circle in the ◄●►). That will add the new Keyframe. The "arrows" will step you to the Previous, or Next Keyframes).

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Great news!

Until one has worked with Keyframes just a bit, some of the mechanics are a tad alien. With each use of Keyframes, it just becomes second nature.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points