Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Back Up Catalog error

Apr 14, 2013 8:06 AM

Tags: #back-up-error

We keep getting this error message when trying to back up the catalog, any thoughts as how to fix this?

Back up error message.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to crose9603

Where are you writing the backup to? External hard disk?Is enough space available on the destination disk?

Please ensure that all background process are turned off. Check edit >> preferences >> media analysis and untick all checkboxes.

Also, kill any Adobe related exes in Task Manager/Activity Monitor, except ofcourse Elements Organizer.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to crose9603

Where are you taking the backup (external/internal hard drive, network, CD/DVD)? Please make sure that current user have write permissions for target folder?

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to crose9603

Please answer my previous ques (where are you taking backup?)

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 12:26 AM   in reply to crose9603

Thanks for the reply.

So you are taking backup in a folder on an external drive. Which OS (Win or Mac)? In this case, please make sure that current user has write permissions to that folder. It will be good if you can post a snaoshot showing 'Properties->Secutites (Tab)'.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to crose9603

I am a new user of photosshop 11.

I am also getting this error message. I have windows and am trying to save to an external hard drive with 388 GBs of free space.

The pictures folder is 42GB.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 12:16 AM   in reply to crose9603

Hi Crose9603,

The snapshot is missing.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to crose9603

The snapshot is too blury to figure out the details. Anyways what I got from this is you have a lot of users on your system. Which user are you using for backing up catalog? Edit the properties of the user you are using and assign him 'Full control'.

If that doesn't work (just for testing purpose), edit properties of all users and assign 'Full control' to everyone (once this issue is resolved, please revert the permission settings).

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to Andromeda14

If it is of any help ........ I don't think the number of users is an issue for my back up problem as there is only one user and it is me (so far as I know - not being a computer whizz)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to Chris1512

Sorry but What I meant was the isssue can be due to permissions. So just check tthat the current user has 'Full control' over it. Just to be extra sure, assign 'Full control' permission to all users.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Andromeda14

I have looked at user account control settings - I can confirm that I am the only user but the only thing I seem to be able to alter is when I am notified of changes - should I be looking somewhere else ( as I said  - I am not a computer whizz)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 12:40 AM   in reply to crose9603

crose9603,

Is the issue resolved at your end?

Chris1512,

To change user's permission for your hard drive, right click the hard drive (in My computer) and select 'Properties'. Navigate to 'Security' tab. Select each user (one at a time) and click on 'Edit' button. Now under permissions tab, click checkbox for 'Full control' if not already checked. Let me know if you face any issues.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 2:01 AM   in reply to Andromeda14

Thanks for the suggestion - but still not working.

Sequence was:

• Changed all users to full control
    • started PS11went straight to Organiser, had to wait while catalogue loadedgot a message saying some files had been moved and click reconnect to find them (I had tried this before and it seemed to take ages adnget nowhere so I didn't bother)
    • after a while got a script error message, and clicked continue
    • followed theinstructions to back up to the external hard drive ended up with the same error message

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 2:05 AM   in reply to Chris1512

Pse wait before responding  - I am trying again

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to Chris1512

Ok - cracked it.

Changing user's permission on the hard drive of the computer didn't help.

So I looked at user rights on the back up drive (is that what you meant anyway?) and there were none shown - so I changed them to full rights and back up went ok.

So ..... if you meant to check user rights on the back up drive, and I have now changed user rights for all users on the computer hard drive (drive C) then have I created problems for myself (there seemed to be a lot of scary warnings about reducing security etc).

In practice this is a home computer only used by me and my wife (unless a technician has to repair it etc and they no doubt have the knowledge to do naughty things if they want) so unless the user right changes cause operational problems there won't be any security etc issues (will there??)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points