Skip navigation
tdsurf
Currently Being Moderated

"Unknown BIB error", anybody ever actually fix this?

Apr 14, 2013 11:15 AM

So I haven't used AE for about a year. I have V7 but had installed a trial of CS5.5 and that has expired so I uninstalled it. But V7 is now telling me "After Effects warning: Unknown BIB Error, Invalid encoding BRV 0.

The only thing I can find searching the web is "you have a FONT problem, uninstall the problem font" or similary vague responses.

This makes absolutely no sense. WHICH font? Come on Adobe, can't we give me a solution? It worked fine for over a year, and after installing CS5.5 too.

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2013 11:46 PM   in reply to tdsurf

It means that your font encoding is not recognized, which could be a simple compatibility problem - AE 7 is not officially compatible with Win 7/ Win 8 or even Win Vista. That said, if it worked before chances are that your CS5.5 uninstall removed some shared component that worked magic like parts of the font system. Reinstalling it therefore might fix the issue.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to tdsurf

Mmh, Macs are evil.... Could indeed be that some system update broke some internal stuff. just like on Windows, AE 7 is not really compatible with the latest versions of OSX. A notorious issue has been OSX messing around with the Verdana font that is used by Adobe apps for instance. That might be a place to start - download it from Microsoft, reinstall. Otherwise you might try the usual troubleshooting - remove all fonst from your system until the bare minimum is left, try to log in as a new user or even enable the root user, trash the AE prefs, perhaps change your system screen resolution and flush out the system font caches with a tool like OnyX.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to tdsurf

A good font manager for Mac can find and repair corrupted fonts. I find that most font errors come right after installing a new app. It can happen with almost any app. Fortunately for me It's never caused more than a couple of minutes trouble. I use FontExplorer X Pro and love it. There are several good ones.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points