Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Opt-Out Responsive Design? (Fluid grid layout un-necessary)

Apr 14, 2013 2:29 PM

Tags: #responsive_design

I was contemplating having a responsive design for my website. I didn't really see a need for one because when I looked at it in a smart phone (Samsung Galaxy Grand) the desktop version was perfectly usable.

The following article from CSS Tricks looks at Responsive Design from another angle, that it is not necesary. Any commnets from our experts?

Opt-Out Responsive Design?

Excerpt:

I  have a feeling that “responsive design” is going to soon replace  “table-based layout” in all your favorite “remember-when” web design  one-liners.  And we will all blush when people track down our old  designs where everything smooshed into a skinny, giant’s beanstalk of  endless swipe scrolling.

We keep  hearing about the exciting evolution of “responsive design.” But to me  it’s got nothing on the exciting evolution of mobile browsers.  (Which,  incidentally, are already really, really good at rendering old desktop  era sites.  And will soon, presumably, give us native capabilities to  manage asset loading relative to bandwidth.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to VL Branko

I don't think all websites need responsive templates.  Especially a lot of the common Wordpress, or basic Bootstrap or other templates.  Usability is the key and if that's fine there's no need for it.  I don't think mobile browsers are as exciting as that article suggests.  In fact, the more browsers change, the more they remain the same as divided which makes programming websites an ongoing guessing game and never-ending testing process to satisfy the browsers as opposed to the devices.  Take a look at Chrome leaving the webkit project to make it's own "Blink" engine.  So being mobile friendly will soon have new meaning.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to VL Branko

Have a look at these two sites in portrait view on a mobile

https://www.webassist.com/index.php?accesscheck=/index.php

http://www.projectseven.com/

and I will say no more.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to VL Branko

Are we reading the same article? 

In your link, Chris Coyier said:

"Why don't we see opt-out responsive design? My guess is two-fold:

1. It's a bit technically challenging to implement and there aren't a lot of precedents.
      2. It's admitting you didn't do a very good job on the responsive design.

The latter likely being the bigger factor. Like: why are we creating this responsive design at all if we aren't sure it's a better experience?"

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Ben Pleysier wrote:

https://www.webassist.com/index.php?accesscheck=/index.php

Is that a responsive site or is it just sniffing for mobiles/tablets then presenting a different site?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to osgood_

WebAssist isn't a responsive site. It just displays the desktop version (at least on my iPhone 5). The Project Seven site is responsive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to osgood_

The idea was to show two modern sites, the new WebAssist site went live only one week ago.

Despite having been with WebAssist for many years, I am bitterly disappointed in their lack of foresight.

The other site, ProjectSeven, has given me less enthousiasm in the past, but has recently captured my admiration for their advanced technologies as reflected in their RWD web site.

I believe that 2013 is the year of RWD and SVG. Think Retina, handheld devices, Apple-TV, Kaiser Baas and others, all capable of showing your website in all shapes and sizes.

Make sure you do not get left behind.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to David_Powers

David_Powers wrote:

WebAssist isn't a responsive site. It just displays the desktop version (at least on my iPhone 5).

Hi David,

That's what I thought. I was looking at the code to see if I could see anything which was sending the user to another url based on viewport. However if it was using some kind of server language to do that I'd be none the wiser.

I'm undecided as to whether to pursue responsive design or use my time where I feel it might be best allocated. My clients have never said they can't view the sites I build on their mobile devices, so I'm not sure if putting more effort into using media queries is necessary. I really don't know at this stage.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 4:29 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Ben Pleysier wrote:

I believe that 2013 is the year of RWD and SVG. Think Retina, handheld devices, Apple-TV, Kaiser Baas and others, all capable of showing your website in all shapes and sizes.

Make sure you do not get left behind.

I hear what youre saying Ben but Webassists site is still useable on mobile devices right? If it's useable is there a problem or not?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to VL Branko

VL Branko wrote:

It is useable especially if you view sites in "landscape" view, you get a lot of extra pixels.

OK thanks for the clarification - so where is the problem apart from people might not be willing to twist their mobile devices through 90 degress to get a better experience whereas responsive designs 'snap' to the view port.

The problem as I see it may be the extended time it takes to make a large site responsive and the cost associated with that for small clients. Ok no problem if you have only a few pages. But if you have more than a few and 4 or 5 different layout grids for the site pages then it could become rather time consuming.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to VL Branko

If you turn a smartphone sideways, there is hardly any room to display

content This is why what seems perfectly logical to you is actually

quite illogical. People browsing on phones tend to be in portrait mode

unless they are viewing a video. People browsing on tablets more often

tend to be using landscape mode as they can actually see quite a bit of

page content.

Responsive design is often intimidating, but that is more to do with bad

articles and methods (starting with the original article and the fellow

who coined the term, actually). Responsive design, in practice, is

ridiculously simple if done from scratch and agonizingly inscrutable if

you use open source frameworks or Adobe's fluid grid atrocity.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to VL Branko

VL Branko wrote:

As for making responsive sites, what would you do in the case of an already existing site with lots of pages?

Hummm......at this moment and based on Al's response, I'd throw up a couple of pages sepecifically aimed at  smart phones if it was a necessary requirement. Seems as though tablets do a good enough job.

Listen don't take too much advice from me in regards to responsive design, I've only dabbled in media queries at the moment. It's not dificult. What is difficult is when the layout becomes complex from page to page because you need to write more media requirements. If you have a site based on a template design and it doesn't vary much then it's obviously less complex. I rarely come across that situation though unless I specifically set out to make it a requirement which somewhat compromises the design if I have that in mind.

Do I use my phone to view the web, hardly ever but thats because of my age. I guess you would need to take age and subject into consideration as well as to whether you need to support responsive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to osgood_

osgood_ wrote:

Do I use my phone to view the web, hardly ever but thats because of my age.

I don't think age has much to do with it. I'm not exactly a spring chicken, but when I'm away from home, I use my phone all the time for looking things up. In fact, I recently find myself using it at home if I don't want to go into another room to grab a laptop or tablet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to VL Branko

It depends on the page and the "template". Like I wrote earlier, a lot

of folks have been lured into bad techniques so sometimes, if you cannot

easily make your site responsive, it could be a signal that the approach

was bad to begin with and this might be a good time for a redesign.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to VL Branko

I absolutely despise the "two separate URLs for one site" method in most cases. The designers who use that method almost always forget, or intentionally leave out, a way for the mobile browser to view the entire site which leaves you in some half complete, poorly designed mess with little of the full site's content.

If you're going to do two separate sites and use some kind of sniffer to force visitors to a mobile version/URL, for the love of all that is holy give us a link to see the full site if we want to visit it instead, especially if you don't plan to put the ALL of the same content on both.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points