Skip navigation
mrsamdk
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 actions > batch saving images to a clipping mask issue

Apr 14, 2013 4:14 PM

Tags: #actions #cs6 #batch_actions #batch_processing #batch_import #batch_process #batch_layering

Hey all,

Been at this for quite some while now and searched the www thin for suggestion - so really hope someone can help me out here.

Objective:

- Target a folder with xxx .gif patterns (in the same size)
- Setup actions to batch open each image from the folder, copy the pattern image individually over to a .PSD file that have a silhouette of the sleeve.
- Apply the individual pattern to the clipping mask
- Save it out as .png

Issue:
So far ive only had the automate > batch process to save out one .png with the pattern correctly applied to the silhouette.

What I experince is that, if I close down everything and initiate automate > batch process then Photoshop will complain about not being able to locate the clipping mask.
In my action setup I first open my .psd containing my sleeve shape, then open an actual pattern image and then all other steps ending up with saving the .psd with pattern clipping mask to .png.

Just to give a simple idea about my setup take a look here:

http://i.imgur.com/FE8mSEU.png

In this one below, ive closed everything and run the automate > batch process, which gives me the error you can see here:
http://i.imgur.com/7Cvj26D.png

Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong OR if I am doing anything wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to mrsamdk

Have you updated photoshop cs6 by going Help>Updates from within photoshop?

(i believe photoshop 13.0 had a problem running certain actions that required copy and paste operations when

one used floating document windows)

Or tried running your action using document tabs instead of floating document windows?

(my first response that i deleted i think was the wrong reason)

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to mrsamdk

You need to understand how File>Automate>Batch works better.  You may then be able to design a action to do what you want.   The process you describing would more likely need to  be a programmed script that can also use that second action in your screen capture.    Batch is designed to process  a set of documents. The set can be image files in a folder, the currently opened documents, image selected in the bridge or import.  Batch can also save output files and name them.  This saving can done by  overridings save as steps in actions.  The process you describe does not seem to be compatible with how batch works.

I have never tried anything like you want to do.  To me Batch would open your pattern gif files. (I do not understand why gif as that file format only supports 256 mapped colors??)   Then your batch action would open your template PD file and copy the required layers perhaps using a group over into the document opened by batch. The action would then close the psd template file and use the  backgroung pattern to fill in the sleve layer with the clipping mask that was copied in from the psd template.  The action would then delete the pattern background layer and do a save as png.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 3:01 AM   in reply to mrsamdk

Try making the Action:

Open a GIF

Select All

Copy

Close

Open "sleeve_layer.psd"

do whatever is required

Save For Web

Close without saving

Note that the destination folder of the Save For Web step will not be overriden by Batch. The SFW output will go to whatever folder is recorded in the SFW step of the Action. That SFW step can be re-recorded whenever required without necessitating re-recording of the entire Action.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 4:11 AM   in reply to mrsamdk

Screenshot shows an Action which works for me in a Batch.

Screen-shot-2013-04-15-at-12.01.22.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to mrsamdk

You're welcome! By the way, in my Action, the first step after opening the GIF is convert to RGB.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points