Skip navigation
stevenhornby
Currently Being Moderated

Frame transition jumpy in animation

Apr 15, 2013 8:07 AM

Hi! I am brand new to AE, and desperately need some advice from those in the know regarding my problem. In a nutshell I have rendered all the frames in 3DS Max (30fps) and now using AE to put them together. There are points where the camera in the scene rotates, which is causing the content of these frames to seem blurred, the detail is not crisp. It is as though the transition isn't correct, however when the camer is moving straight in the scene all is good.

Is there a way to make the transition between each frame seamless? Any advice would be great, many thanks in advance.

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to stevenhornby

After Effects is an absolutely marvelous motion graphics, effects and compositing application, but because of the way it evolved, it contains many pitfalls for the newcomer.  You can't expect to simply learn a couple of AE tricks and get satisfactory results.

This can help you get on the right track.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to stevenhornby

I'm not sure that I'm following you. It sounds like motion blur, which is something that you want. Crisp edges on a moving image are usually very distracting and are subject to all kinds of critical panning speed problems. If the camera rotates does it rotate in AE or in 3DS Max? If it is in AE just turn off motion blur. Same goes for 3DS Max. I'm still not sure I understand what you are looking at. A screenshot would help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Steve put more detail in his duplicate post here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/897409

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Thanks for the link Todd. This is a perfect example of critical panning speed errors. The only solution is to change the speed of the pan or add more motion blur. This is a clear violation of the 7 second rule and it's especially evident because of the high contrast edges in the shot. Pause the video at any point in the pan and you'll see a clear image. Adding CC Force Motion blur to this shot may help it a bunch.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points