• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11.7 Sound Playback Bug

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've received reports that sound is cutting off from both video and audio content with some Flash content using Flash Player 11.7.700.169 (and 11.7.700.179).  I apologize to those effected by this bug.  We've been able to reproduce the issue internally and are currently investigating the cause and possible fixes and workarounds.  If you haven't already, please take a minute and let us know how this issue impacts you by leaving a short comment (or vote) on this bug report:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3539635

Your feedback is important to us and we will continue to update the bug report as new information becomes available.

For those looking for an immediate fix, you can either update to our latest beta (4/30/2013 - Flash Player 11.7.700.197 Beta) or you can downgrading Flash Player to our latest 10.3 release.  The latest 10.3.183.75 build contains all of the recent security updates and should provide a stable platform for both audio and video.  Please see these two faqs for details.

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

Where can I find direct downloads of Flash Player 10.3 for Windows or Macintosh?

In addition, Google Chrome users will need to switch to the system version of Flash Player (NPAPI version) after installing the 10.3 release:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enable-system-flash-player-goog le-chrome.html

The next official update, currently scheduled for release in mid May, will resolve this bug.

Thanks,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will the patch be released for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still in the process of testing the proposed fix.  I don't have a date I can give you for a public release.  If this fix passes QA, it will definitely be in next weeks Flash Player beta available on labs.adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks, Chris. As I posted in another thread on the same 11.7 glitch, I followed your instructions for revert to 10.3 and my problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, reverting back flash player version is not our possible solution for our company as the client machines are in their control most of the time. Sometimes, our clients may not even have the control to upgrade or downgrade any of their software by themselves. When our company software doesn't work, they will only blame on our software instead of finding out the cause or understanding the situation here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to paste my last comment from the bug report in case anyone is subscribed to this topic:

We've completed our initial testing and it appears the fix does resolve this problem. We expect to release an update to our public beta channel early next week (4/23) so we can have a wider audience verify the changes. I'll post again as soon as this test build is available. Any feedback you have is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We build our business by using Flash Player since 2008. Our core functionality is webcam recording. We invested a lot of money to make it properly. But we get a lot of problems with every one Flash Player upgrade. How much should we invest in fixing our stable application? It's not funny anymore.

To live with new Flash Player bugs we found workaround by rewriting stream management and equipment hadling in our flash application. It's a real pain when our Support Team spend nights to help clients to use their webcam and microphones properly, but what can we do without automatically downgrade options (trust me, not everybody can do it manually)? It's really not serious to release the major regression beyond the beta releases. Every time Flash Player upgrade we get a new portion or problems, and very few times we get real advantages. Please review your release policy. It should be stable branch with reasonable releasing cycle schedule.

Adobe, is this possible to freeze Flash Player core(!) functionality or have different builds above it? Please pay an attention on it, million customers don't need new features, but everybody get them with non-reversible automatic upgrade.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I anticipate that our next beta will be out tomorrow (4/23) sometime in the afternoon (GMT-8).  I can't guarantee this but I'll post back to this thread if any delays occur.

@mikhailov.anatoly - We do release both 10.3.x and 11.x builds, with the 10.3 branch only receiving security updates.  However, this is meant for enterprise customers that don't want the added risk that new features can bring.  It also lacks a stand alone upgrade process.  However, I will bring this up to the team to see if we can try and improve this situation in the future.

@dvadneau - There are a few suggestions from other customers in the bug report comments regarding workarounds.  The following is also from the developer that fixed the issue.  Their response was geared towards the original bug report but it might be relevant in other scenarios.

They could try something like stopping and restarting the sound when the video window is opened. It’s hard to tell exactly what is going on in their actionscript without looking at the code, but it appears that the sound is added when the movie is originally loaded, then it is actually played when the video window opens. But the bug is causing the sound to be removed when the video window opens. So, re-adding the sound after the video window opens could fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris: I don't want to take this off topic, but can you tell us how we can continue to update the 10.3x builds? Until this thread, I was not aware that I had the option to simply make security updates to 10.3. Since it works well for me, and since I don't seem to need any of the enhancements provided by the 11.x builds, I would like to avoid future situations like the one that I just went through - having to uninstall an 11.x build and revert.

Will you, at some point, though, stop supporting the 10.3x builds?

Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response, Chris. In my particular case there is no video being used, only the Sound object. Movieclips are being loaded and removed when the stoppage occurs, if that helps. The audio that stops is music in this application and it would be very obvious that the audio is stopping and starting, although I will look at this. I'll see if I can resume (track the index, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, thank you for reply! For some technical reasons our recording application works with 11.* release only. It would be great to have some kind of stable/edge releases. Maybe even we can say our clients - use this particular Flash Player version/versions, it works stable with our service (we do a platform, not just an web-application).

Auto-upgrade option is very good idea, many software follow the rule. If Adobe can improve this functionality to make user a choice - security or/and functionality release update, it would just amazing!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This respond is not accectable. The question is, it seems that adobe does not make serious tests on the flash player versions;such a huge mistake can not be escaped. I think that Adobe's programmers are playing a game instead of doing their job.

It's a shame..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@axelov2:

It is refreshing to read your helpful and inisghtful comment.

I too have to suffer from unacceptable problems. For example, in the 1960s already I was promised my own personal spaceship - WHERE IS IT? You would think 50 years are more than enough time!!! This is the 21st(!!!) century!

I have filed a complaint with the United Nations. Maybe you too should take your issue higher if Adobe continues to be unable to do what nobody else cannot do either, which is to provide 100% bugfree software, which works on all computers in all environments, of past, presence and future.

Yeah, it's a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hasenstein

While I agree the previous comment was a little out of line, the fact is an issue like this is a real problem. It's a regression. Having sound stop because a resource is loaded/unloaded should be in some test scenario. That it wasn't caught at least should be a heads up to Adobe QA.

Your sarcasm is unhelpful and just adds noise to what should be a useful communication tool.

@Adobe

So, is there a workaround at all? Downgrading or upgrading (when there's a fix) is not the best option. I can't force thousands of visitors to revert to an older version or wait for another version to come out. And yet without doing so visitors are possibly left with a potentially poor experience of the site.

Is there anything I can do from a site developer's perspective, in terms of modifying code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dvadneau

Thank your for your helpful example of how to do it: When thinking someone said something unhelpful, follow up with something at least equally unhelpful, but mask it by asking a silly question (which in this case is one that has already been asked AND ANSWERED(*), if you yourself bothered to read the thread above). You COULD have sent me a private message, but it is of course obviously soooo much more helpful for everyone else interested in this thread to chide me in public. It seems to me people in glass houses... oh well.

(*) A solution has been found. It is being tested. It will be released as soon as that has been done. Of course, asking 20 more times will obviously speed the testing process up, just like pushing the button in the elevator for the floor you want it to go to makes it a little faster each time you push. Or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame !  The question is, it seems that adobe does not make real regression tests on the flash player;such a huge mistake had to be discovered before . I think that Adobe's programmers are playing games instead of doing their job.

Not accectable !!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We do release both 10.3.x and 11.x builds, with the 10.3 branch only receiving security update."

I must understand 11.x are more than security isues? Adobe still develop th eplayer ? i thought it moved to Apache ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've just released our latest beta that should fix this issue.  We'd like to encourage you to try it out and let us know how it works for you.

4/23/2013 - Flash Player 11.7.700.191 Beta

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mendel56 - Flash Player is still actively developed with new features being added.  Our latest release is 11.7.  You can see a list of features here:

4/9/2013 - Flash Player 11.7 Release Announcement

@gwilki - There isn't an auto update mechanism for 10.3, but you could subscribe to our announcements forum and then pay attention to our release announcements.

@mikhailov.anatoly - I think having a mechanism in place that would allow you to easily switch between the secure version and fully functional version is a great idea and something I'll continue pushing for.

@ mendel56 - I apologize again for this bug getting past both our internal and public beta tests.  We do have an extensive regression test suite but it appears that this was missed.  I'll work with the team to make sure that this is specifically looked at in the future.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, the audio playback issue has been fixed, thank you so much!

Beta seems stable, we are looking forward for release.

Anatoly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a webmaster solution, we can not expect that everyone (mostly the old people) upgrade the flash player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When does the fix get rolled out the John Q Public? (Most have no clue and rely upon Auto Updates.)

Potential customers can not view my slide shows because of this. I would just like to know WHEN this fix will be for Everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris

Our customer are nervous  and they are waiting for our announcement of the new player release. 

When this suppose to be?

Mena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lady Effingham - A beta version is simply a version of Flash Player that is still being worked on.  At some point (typically driven in part by an actual date) we will declare this "done" and we will put out our "released" version.  Until then, the releases we put our are labeled "beta" and come with the caveat that its a work in progress.  That being said, I believe our current beta is more stable than the "released" version because of the additional bug fixes.

Please note that if you install the beta you will automatically receive beta updates from that point on.  You can drop out of betas by uninstalling the component and then installing the released version again (at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer). 

@ mikhailov.anatoly, kevin_oc, mendel56, Foz46307 - We plan on releasing the next version within the next couple of weeks.  We try to shoot for the typical "patch Tuesday" schedule which next falls on May 14th.  I'll post back if this changes for whatever reason.

@logue.timothy - Unfortunately, we don't have a beta mechanism for Internet Explorer on Windows 8.  I suspect you can have customers uninstall the KB update for the last Flash Player update, but that would remove the latest security updates.  The only other alternative (until a new version is made available through windows update on May 14th) is to use an alternative browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange that Adobe cannot release a patch to an incredibly critical bug somewhat faster. It certainly did not seem like the current public release had been through the same amount of testing. In the meantime, while many flash applications are not working correctly, its another great way to make sure more people move away from flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines