Skip navigation
KurirScreen
Currently Being Moderated

How to reduce noise from still pictures in PE 11?

Apr 16, 2013 1:51 AM

Tags: #premiere #elements #picture #11 #high #noise #still #iso #grain

Hi

I have tried to set a few still pictures into my video. They were taken with high ISO 4000, with a Full frame camaera (NIKON D600). They look sharp and fine in any photo viewer. But when creatin a video with PE 11 they become VERY noisy/grainy.

WHY, and how do I reduce this noise?

Christian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to KurirScreen

Have you resized your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size before you import them into Premiere Elements?

Have you rendered your timeline (by pressing Enter)? You need to render your timeline whenever you see yellow lines above your clips in Expert view. Photos always need to be rendered before you can play them clearly on your timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to KurirScreen

Welcome to the forum.

Video noise most often shows up, when the Images are underexposed, and then brightened in some way.

I have found Neat Video to be a very good video noise reduction tool. It's 3rd party, not too expensive, and has worked well for me.

There is another product from Neat, Neat Image, which works beautifully on Still Images. It will also work well to remove film grain, in scanned film-captured Images.

What I do not know is if Neat Video will use PrElements as a host application. I know that it works well with PrPro.

Neat Image is available in three ways - a stand-alone, a plug-in for Photoshop (do not know about Photoshop Elements), or as a combo-pack with both.

As Steve comments, doing Image manipulation in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements is the best way to handle Still Images. While PrE can do some Still Image manipulation/correction, its tools are designed for Video. Photoshop (either version) has far more tools for Stills.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to KurirScreen

KurirScreen wrote:

Hi

I have tried to set a few still pictures into my video. They were taken with high ISO 4000, with a Full frame camaera (NIKON D600). They look sharp and fine in any photo viewer. But when creatin a video with PE 11 they become VERY noisy/grainy.

WHY, and how do I reduce this noise?

Christian

ISO 4000 is pretty high!   Are they RAW or .jpg?

PrE11 has a effect called "Denoise".  Have you tried it?  It may be that your other photo viewers are processing with a built in denoiser.

I have not yet used the denoise effect, but once applied to a photo there are interesting controls available. 

I have had good results with RAW images that are not resized, but they are all shot at ISO 400 or below. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to whsprague

Is not the Denoise effect for audio only?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to KurirScreen

After I process my Camera RAW Images, I Save_As a PSD from Photoshop. PSD is the native format of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, and are not compressed. They work perfectly in PrE - so long as they are 8-bit RGB. Many Camera RAW formats are shot in 16-bit, and must be converted to 8-bit, but Photoshop makes that very easy. They should already be RGB, so Color Mode should not be an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to KurirScreen

KurirScreen wrote:

Do you then upload then in PE11 as RAW? What if you want to manipulate them, then you need a different format than RAW?

Christian

Christian,

I've done it several different ways, including loading the RAW file directly to Premier Elements straight out of the camera if little needs to be done to the photo.   

There is some manipulation available within Premier Elements under the Adjust tab, but not much.  If I need to "work on" a photo a little or a lot I will use Lightroom or Photoshop Elements, or even both.   In that case, I will save the result as a PSD like Hunt says. 

I was taking pictures in the Grand Canyon this week shooting multiple exposures on a tripod for HDR processing.  Lightroom made .tif files for the Nik HDR Effects Pro that returned one to Lightroom also in .fif.  I exported them as DNGs for PrE and it worked great.  I think I can shorted a step and use DNGs to go to he Nik program.

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points