Skip navigation
th23434
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 disappointment - am I missing a trick?

Apr 16, 2013 6:14 AM

Tags: #error #crash #cs6 #multitrack #audition_cs6

Hi folks,

I'm a long-time user through Cool Edit to the current version (skipping CS5). I've upgraded and I've been tentatively trying out CS6. Yesterday, I started my first full session in 6 for a soundtrack on a deadline. It feels now like a massive mistake. I'm just wondering am I missing out on something as regards setup or optimization because its performance is well below 3.0 which I also have installed on this machine. The project has a 48hr deadline and I'm at the point of bouncing stems and going back to 3.0 because I just can't afford to use CS6 today. Here's my issues which perhaps someone can give me advice on. It's a pretty decent new laptop running Windows 7. If there are some optimisation tricks I'm missing, please let me know as I couldn't see anything I could change in the settings.

1. Crashes - it crashed numerous times. It just stops working and that is the only error message I get. I think this is related to the number of VSTs I'm using. But it's a lot less than I use on the same machine with v3.0. It's happened sometimes even when it was an Audition native effect I was adding. Which brings me to my next point..

2. VSTs. It just doesn't seem to handle them as well as v3.0. Slowdowns, dropouts, buzzing,  I'm so disappointed at how the machine seems to be slowing down after using about half the plugins I'd use in 3.0. The slowdown is infuriating and unworkable. Which brings me to my next point..

3. Pre-render. I have a group of drum tracks that I wanted to pre-render as the machine was slowing down. But after pre-render, half of the track is gone! It's muted somehow, I play up to a certain point and the tracks disappear. If I switch off pre-render, they're back again, but I can't do that as the machine slows down too much.

4. Workspace. It just seems harder to work with. Too many boxes and I just can't seem to find a right zoom level for working with clips. Moving clips just seems so much harder than 3.0. The clip properties box is so annoying because if I need to make a minute timing adjustment, if I click in the wrong place when choosing a playback position to choose from, the box changes to something else such as session properties. Which brings me to my next point..

5. Introducing lag! After I'd got to about 7 tracks, CS6 started introducing huge lag in newly recorded tracks. Really infuriating. So I'm having to re-align newly recorded tracks with the old ones, which is just not as easy as in 3.0 as I said above.

As I say, frustrating on a deadline. It's terrible that I feel I made a mistake using the newer version than the old one when something important was at stake.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to th23434

Probably a good idea to expand upon "It's a pretty decent new laptop running Windows 7" - some detail about the laptop and the soundcard will help members on the forum to assist.

All I can say is that like you I've used Audition since the CEP days and I too was a big fan of Au3 but there is no way I could go back to it now - just way too slow for starters and that's not to mention all the great new features. Could it be that your laptop is throttling down?

http://aao25.com/programs-coding/throttlestop-to-avoid-your-laptop-cpu -throttling/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to th23434

Do you have latest update to version 5.0.2 build 7? I too can testify like SuiteSpot that CS6 is much more stable and faster than Au3. I am on Windows 7 32 bit system now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to th23434

That is certainly not a good thing and not the norm.

I have a few of the Digimax FS and they are great and work just fine with CS6.Can we assume you have the latest drivers installed for the FP?

http://www.presonus.com/products/FP10/downloads

In the CS6 hardware preferences are you using the asio or mme driver option?

Its nearly 3am here so someone else will probably take it from here

Edit: It took me 10 minutes to get this posted - stupid forum software

I dreaded doing this edit

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:46 AM   in reply to SuiteSpot

From the list of faults, I have to wonder if something was corrupted during the installation process.  Is it worth trying deleting the whole thing (including Preferences) and starting again.

No help at all to you th23434 but I'm another one who can confirm what Suitespot and others are saying--if anything CS6 has been faster and more stable than AA3.01 for me--and AA3.01 was darn good.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 8:27 PM   in reply to th23434

Whether or not to use ASIO is determined by your sound car/audio interface, not Audition.  If your sound interface has ASIO drivers available then I'd sugget you use them by all means--lower latency, less Windows based clap trap between Audition and the interface.  However, unless you have the right ASIO drivers for your device installed, you'll need to use the built in WME drivers (or, perhaps, Asio4All which puts an ASIO wrapper around a WME device).

Good luck with the reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to th23434

Here are my answers :-

1. AFAIK it is limited only by the CPU ability to effectively process them

2. Limited by the ability of your PC to drag them off the hard drive - I have opened sessions with hundreds and hundreds of files attached

3. There were some but pretty sure they were all fixed in CC

4. There probably are some but none that I'm aware of

5. I don't use a laptop for this sort of work but I would imagine aone with a fast hard drive or even an SSD would be best

6. None that I know of

7. I've used split screens with Audition (since v3) for years without issue

8. No matter the version it is advisable to turn off any background processes which might detract in any shape or form, Anti-Virus, Wireless, etc

While I'm sure this doesn't help - this issue must be something unique to your setup otherwise everyone would have posts like yours

I'm going to be 'non compus mentis' for the next 36 hours but feel free to send (or post) an example sesx for myself and others to examine (just in case)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to th23434

Can you go into detail on the size and scope of the sessions you're experiencing these problems with?  How many files and plug-in instances are involved?  What specifically is the scenario around the crashing?  (For example, does it crash when inserting an effect, during playback, when modifying effect parameters?)  What third-party effects are you using?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points