Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Newly created InDesign 5.5 file missing plug-ins, can't open now

Apr 16, 2013 10:27 AM

How can I open an InDesign 5.5 file that says it's missing plug ins and won't open, when I just opened and created the file last week?

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to CatConnor

Are you certain you're running CS5.5 and this is a CS5.5 file? You will see this if you try to open a CS6 file in CS5.5, or as CS5.5 file in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to CatConnor

Which plugins are listed as missing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to CatConnor

Tha sounds more like a lock file problem. Close ID, then look for any .idlk fies and delete them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to CatConnor

They are supposed to be in the same folder withthe .indd file they are locking, and are supposed to be deleted when you close a file, but a global search is a good idea. If th InDesign is closed, there should be no reason to find ANY .idlk file anywhere, so if you do, it's going to cause trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 1:51 AM   in reply to CatConnor

Try open as a copy.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 7:04 PM   in reply to CatConnor

I am having this exact same issue- I am POSITIVE I'm running indesign 5.5, and the file I was sent by a client says that it is an indesign 5.5 file- I cannot find any .idlk files in their folder or elsewhere. have tried opening as a copy, restarting, etc... HELP!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to bsgdesign77

It's a CS6 file if it came from elsewhere.

Since you only have 5.5 your system would have no way of indicating a CS6 file.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 7:16 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

really?! I just assumed that if my computer says InDesign® CS5.5 Document... then it must be. why would it lie? learn something new every day...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 11:53 PM   in reply to CatConnor

When I try to open a CS6 file in CS5.5, I get the error message:

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 11.36.33 PM.png

The way to generate this other message:

Screen Shot 2013-04-17 at 11.37.52 PM.png

is to try to open something that InDesign can't open. This is sometimes an InDesign file that is corrupt. Once I found poorly configured backup software keeping files open. In other cases I've had clients hand off files that were supposed to be InDesign files but turned out to be renamed zipfiles or PDF files or Word files (all of which fall under the "may not support the file format" statement above). You've already ruled out it being open elsewhere by searching for .idlk files, and you've ruled out plugin issues already (by not having a CS6 file generate the new "because it was saved with a newer version" message, and chances that you've installed some kind of plugin that ), so it almost has to be a file that is broken or misnamed in some way.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to CatConnor

@CatConnor,

The other possibility is that it isn't really an InDesign file at all and someone has changed the file extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

OH, I see Joel has already mentioned that...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:57 AM   in reply to CatConnor

CatConnor wrote:

When I try to open as a copy I get the same message, this has caused me such a problem, guess I have to pay the outrageous fee to Adobe to figure it out.

Perhaps if you send the fine in question to one of us we can figure out what it is. I'll send you a Private message with an upload link you can use to send to me if you like.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:00 AM   in reply to bsgdesign77

bsgdesign77 wrote:

really?! I just assumed that if my computer says InDesign® CS5.5 Document... then it must be. why would it lie? learn something new every day...

Your computer can't tell you anything about versions of ID that are newer than you have installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

A note on that first error message. That will only appear with a fully patched version of CS5.5.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to CatConnor

The file you sent is a PDF with the extension changed to .indd..... It's not the original file that you thought you were opening, and there's a pretty good chance that it replaced the orignal when you (or someone) changed the file extension.

The good news, if you can call it that, is if you change the extension back to PDF it should open in a PDF viewer, or you can place it as a template image in ID to rebuild on top of it if you need to edit.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to CatConnor

So what do think happened?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to CatConnor

CatConnor wrote:

How did you find out it was a pdf, because even when I did "get info" on the file it said it was and .indd file.

When it failed here, too I fed it to an old copy of Conversions Plus which can usually figure out what a file really is no matter the extension. Sometimes opeing in a text editor and looking at the first few lines will tell you, to.

To place all the pages from the PDF into a new file I'd use Scott Zanelli's script: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points