Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get rid of black bars around my movie?

Apr 17, 2013 2:58 PM

I've spent some serious time getting to know the Adobe products and Premiere Pro CS6 in particular. But no matter what, I can't figure out why the exported video sometimes get annoying BLACK BORDERS (in all four directions) completely regardless of the settings.

Since all my sequences are always based on the source material ("create sequence from video file", you know), I don't even see how this can be possible. I simply cut out part from a longer video and export it. Black borders in all four directions. The original video does not have that. It doesn't look like it will have them in the preview/export preview views. It is only when I have exported them that the borders show up. In all media players.

This nearly has me throwing the computer through the window out of frustration. I've tried every export setting imaginable (naturally tried not touching them at all too), but nothing helps when Pr decides to go into "black borders mode". Is this an actual bug? I can't see how it can possibly be intended, especially since the preview clearly shows that the only borders are on the sides (acceptable and expected due to ratio difference and whatnot).

I asked something similar recently but didn't feel people really understood what I was talking about, so I'm trying again.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 16, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Watch this:

How do I get rid of black bars around my movie?

You neglected to mention the most pertinent factors...

your export settings & sequence settings?

Your other thread:

Strange black square around random videos at export

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Once and for all...( for the zillionth time)

Your Source footage does not match your Sequence Settings.

Post up screen grabs of your settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

completely regardless of the settings.

Assuming your player is set to display the file correctly, those black borders are entirely because of the settings.  Somewhere in the chain you have them set wrong.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 16, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Post a screenshot of your sequence settings.

Post a screenshot of your export settings.

Ummm... pretty please?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

We got the point and the answer is the same.

You have a source file that appears as a postage stamp in your export.

Place a small object in a large frame and that is the result.

BTW - Turn off Scale to Frame Size and you will get a better indication i the Program Monitor before you go as far as Exporting a sequence

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 16, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Do you have a particular reason why you will not share

your sequence and export settings in either this thread

or your other thread regarding this very same issue?

Do you know where to find them?

Do you know how to do a screen grab?

Do you know how to add an image file to a post?

Do you really want this "explained once and for all"?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Duplicate topic deleted.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Because its not "vagueinformation" !

We have seen this "issue" many times so trust us when we ask to see your Sequence, Source and Export Settings

.Screen grabs are easier than a video and will tell us more "vital information:.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 17, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9
    ...exported video sometimes get annoying BLACK BORDERS (in all four directions)

In your older, now deleted post, you pointed out that you

had mixed some 4x3 material in your 16x9 sequence,

resulting in black bars on the sides of the video

(as you expected, and were not concerned about).

However, when you exported, the black was not

only at the sides... but above and below as well,

creating a complete 'black box' around your video.

My Sequence Settings (1920x1080 with a 4x3 clip):

sequence.PNG

My Export Settings (erroneously set to DV, viewing output tab, top left):

export.PNG

Any of this looking familiar?

AlfredKubrick9 wrote:

I've tried every export setting imaginable (naturally tried not touching them at all too)

Many encoding presets are good-to-go as is,

but it is not uncommon to tweak the settings for optimum results.

It would behoove you to get more familiar with Media Encoder

FAQ: What are the best export settings?

Workflow and overview for exporting

Using Adobe Media Encoder (.pdf download)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

We can only read what you write and the only conclusion up to now is you made a mistake, OE (Operator error), along the route. Ok, that happens, but if you want help in solving your error, you have to come forward with relevant information.

Imagine a woman walking into a car repair center, saying "I could not start the car this morning. Can you help me?"

The mechanic:

"Do you have a car or did your husband take it to work? Do you have the keys or did your husband take them?, Did you turn on the ignition? What happened? Did the lights on the dashboard light up? Did the starter engine turn over? Do you have fuel in the tank?"

and so on.

We are without a clue as to what you did and what caused the problem, so help us help you.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 17, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

..if you give me some time (24 hours) I can produce a video showing exactly what I am doing to try it.

I know it's only been 23.5 hours,

but I am eager to see your explanatory video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Hope it's OK that I change the title of this discussion. It will make it easier for others to find.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 4:56 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Looks like a good choice of titles to me.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Well, the good news is this part:

and they all export perfectly.

Frustrating? Yes, but if the Project gets out the door, as you envision, that might be as good as it gets.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

I thought that you said that now things WERE Exporting perfectly. Did I misread?

If so, then I apologize.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 6:58 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

First...Why did you take your clip to the source Monitor then drag it back to the project bin before you created a sequence based on the duplicate clip?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to shooternz

The clip is 720 x 480. So start the project new with 720 x 480 preset, Or a new sequence that is  720 x 480 and select 720x480 output. From the screen you have 1920 and 720 mix up

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Don't use Match Sequence Settings.  It creates more problems that it solves.

Also, there are black bars in the media, top and bottom.  When the bars appear on the sides, it's because the player window is larger than the video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 7:45 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

The whole point is I base the sequence on the source material, and then base the export settings on the sequence... ...

I pressed i and o to get a cut which I put back into the list of items. Then I created a sequence based on that.

Actually you are basing a sequence on a subclip.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:19 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

The issue is that your Source Footage is not matching the Sequence.

If one has material, where they expect black bars on the sides, i.e. Pillar Boxing, but are getting them on all four sides, then the vertical Frame Sizes do not match.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Thanx for humouring me. I am honoured you took the time.

I was just pointing out a strange workflow and not actually the recommended procedure at all..

.Now..how about going back to what was asked of you early in this thread. The advice given:

Post a screen grab of the properties of the source footage that causes the issue.

We cant see that from the Video!

This was ....what we needed and you insisted on doing a video that misses the vital information!

You have since informed us that it is a specific clip causing your issue and not an issue with general clips that you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

there are black bars on all FOUR sides. Two are expected/obvious. Four means there is something wrong.

What I see so far seems to me that Jim is correct at post 27. This particular clip has a black border "burned in" top and bottom. If we look at the export panel and the source sequence (which was based on this clip/subclip), this is a fairly regular 4:3 720x480 clip. It was ripped from a DVD (based on the filename), and the picture was obviously a cinematic display aspect ratio. So bars top and bottom from import to export.

With the black background, it is hard to see in the player what is exported clip and what is player background, but the export setting is 720x480, and we have to assume 4:3 display ratio. If there is black on the sides, there woujld have to be more black top and bottom than in the original clip, and there does not appear to be. Players are tricky because many have settings for viewing size and par in terms of the original vs the screen size.

I do understand that you are trying to sort out why this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, when you believe you are using the same workflow all the time. It might be helpful if you post a short original clip - that one was only 20 seconds; perhaps it is not too large.

What has intrigued me about this thread as I have lurked along, is that creating a sequence from a clip SHOULD work. And this specific instance looks like it may have. But I know some cameras/formats do not seem to work so well with that process.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:51 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Total Duration: 01;43;48;04

The duration of the clip you show in the movie at post 22 is 20 seconds (before you reset the in/out). The pixel size and par of the clip you describe in post 33 certainly don't match my guess as to the clip in the movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

You are putting this..

Image Size: 640 x 272

into this...720 x 480 frame

and the source already has a letterbox effect.

Can you now see why it is" postage stamping".

Its not a bug!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 2:13 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Sorry for throwing the wrench on this thread, but why did you decide you have black bars on the left and right sides at all? I don't see them. Neither does WMP, 'cos it creates the preview icon with no bars on sides, nor MPC Home Cinema, 'cos when it opens the file in the default size, there are no bars on sides either. Try to reimport that file into PrPro, and you will probably be surprised... (don't hesitate to open up your source footage in MPC Home Cinema and manipulate its window corner in the same manner as well...)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points