Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sync metadata from jpeg to raw

Apr 16, 2013 1:20 PM

Tags: #metadata #geotag #lr4

Hi, I'm using an Eye-fi Pro X2 card in my D5100. At present Eye-Fi haven't been able to resolve the fact that geodata isn't added to the Raw (nef) file so I am shooting in Raw+jpeg. Is there a way to sync the metadata from the jpeg to the nef file within LR4?  Will this be written to the raw file, to a sidecar file or the LR database?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to pfield69

If you click on the JPG, then ctrl-click on the RAW, and then click on Sync Metadata, this will copy the GPS metadata (and any other metadata you want) to the RAW. You would have to do this one pair of JPG/RAW photos at a time. You might be able to use ExifTool to globally move the metadata.

This information is written to the Lightroom database by default, which is where Lightroom stores ALL metadata. Optionally, you can also have it written to a sidecar file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to pfield69

I am assuming you want sync in bulk.

If that's correct, then consider a plugin, e.g.

Syncomatic (dunno if it supports geodata - it supports whatever the Lr sdk supports).

RawPlusJpeg (definitely supports geodata: it uses exiftool, not Lr sdk).

RelativeAntics (@now, supports same metadata as syncomatic - both are using the same mechanism: sdk methods).

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to pfield69

So, which plugin did you go with, pfield69?

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to pfield69

1. Select either an individual Raw + Jpeg pair or the pairs taken at the same location

2. Switch to the Map Module

3. In the Map Module you should see a Location icon showing the number of files that are tagged

4. Click on Map/Untagged

5. Drag and drop the files on to the Location icon to add that tag to the untagged files

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points