Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Increasing Bitrate for Encode resulting in horrible results

Apr 16, 2013 5:17 PM

I've been migrating from Final Cut Studio to all the various Adobe alternatives and having an issue with Encore right now. 

I've been successfully making DVDs and letting Encore automatically encode for me (As I often times end up making a BluRay as well of a project, this gives me the option of swapping out the footage and keeping the chapter markers intact).  So far it's been working great and calculates things to within 20mb of utilizing all available disc space.

I'm having problems with my most recent project, however.

Initially it was going to be the standard warning video intro and a 1:45 video. Had everything encoded and it looked great (and the show video was 3.9GB).  Then the client decided to add another 10 minute slideshow to things and everything...went downhill.  Original encode still worked and fit on the disc, but in a moment of stupidity I thought it would be good to re-encode so I had everything fresh. And for some odd reason the show's size shrank from 3.9GB to 3.2GB, leaving over 500mb of unused space. It looked OK but I thought it would be good to reclaim the underutilized bitrate. And every effort to do so has resulted in really horrible lacing issue/jagged piano strings and lines footage on the DVD.

Not sure why given that all I've done is increase the Target Bitrate of the standard Transcode setting (NTSC DV 23.97 High Qulality 2 pass 4mb) from 4 to 5 mbps and the Pixel Aspect Ratio from Standard 4:3 to Widescreen 16:9 (thus increasing the Estimated File Size from 3212 to 3900)

The source clip is 720X480 (1.2121) 29.97fps, progressive

I've kept Field Order at "Automatic" (so think I'll try changing it to None (Progressive) in case it wasn't really doing it automatically).

Is there anything else? It's a pretty static concert one camera shot

Thanks for any help

Jonathan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to treehorne

Since you've been getting good results and the project sounds really short, I'd just start over and get all the material in the project before transcoding.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to treehorne

Sorry; I got confused about the length of the program. For the record, there are times where a do-over is what is easiest. Menus (the psd structure) is not usually the problem, and can be reimported. But chapter markers (if you did not export in a form that brings them in), navigation etc. can take time. But it is faster the second time through.

Please post a screenshot of the settings you are using to transcode.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to treehorne

The setting you used has a bitrate minimum of 1.5 (very low) and a target of 5. A bitrate calculator looking at program length of 105 minutes suggests a target of 5450. Since Encore had less on the disk when you used automatic, it was likely using a target in that range.

If you still have the transcodes Encore did on automatic, examine one with Gspot or Mediainfo and see what bitrate was used.

I would try minimum of 2.5 or 3; target of 5.4; maximum is a debate in terms of compatibility, bit try 8 for now. Will it fit with the other material? I don't know, but it may give you a better idea what is happening to the quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to treehorne

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:40 AM   in reply to treehorne

Okay.

Change to the "tree" view in mediainfo.

I think the most useful info is giong to be the actual transcode, not the vobs.

In the folders for the Encore project, look for Sources -> Transcodes and then the file at issue. You want the m2v file to look at with mediainfo.

If you still have the automatic transcoded file and a new one, that is what I was looking for. If not, we can go with the vobs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to treehorne

In Encore bluray (so far), there are no final observations/solutions! Yah, I know what you mean. Get it out the door.

Have you tried tell Encore to use AME as the transcoder? This would test whether it is something unrelated to the settings (Encore passes them to AME).

I'm not convinced you found the right setting in Encore, but you tried the right kinds of things.

In any event, many users would agree that transcoding before bringing into Encore is the right/best way. That is certainly your result.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points