Skip navigation
terry.oneil
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS5 is Corrupting Raw and JPG Files Right Before My Eyes

Apr 16, 2013 6:29 PM

Tags: #raw #mac #files #bridge_cs5 #corrupt

I am using Bridge CS5 on a Mac to work on Raw files from a Canon camera.  The files all looked good in the cameras review, and looked good when downloaded to the computer then the files started to corrupt and become unusable one at a time as I watched.  They became all white or lines of color.  Not all of them corrupted yhough (about 225 of 1100 did though).  I eventually worked the uncorrupted files and even turned them into JPGs and sent them out.  The next day I pull up the pics in bridge to see if they are still bad.  All of a sudden files I opened and worked on yesterday started to corrupt one after another.  Both the JPG and Raw files are corrupt and unusable even though they worked yesterday.  It only happens when in Bridge.  What is going on?  This is riduculous.

Terry

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2013 2:28 AM   in reply to terry.oneil

Hi, Terry.

I find it hard to believe that Bridge is corrupting files, as it's job isn't to actually open files, but merely to preview and pass them on to other programs.

When you say "it only happens when in Bridge", what do you mean? Can you give a bit more detail. Maybe walk us through what's happening?

Do you have Canon DPP? Do the files still appear corrupt in DPP or in Mac Finder (or whatever it is you use on the Mac to look quickly at images)?

If it's just corruption within Bridge, then it may be that it's the preview cache which is corrupt, not the images themselves. You can purge the Bridge cache from the Edit > Preferences > Cache menu, but this won't actually fix the underlying corruption problem, which could be hardware related.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 17, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to terry.oneil

Restart bridge holding down option key and choose both reset preferences and purge central cache. Could you report back?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:28 AM   in reply to terry.oneil

Terry, you never answered my question: have you tried to open the files in other programs, like DPP or other image viewers, to see if they are really corrupt, or just appear corrupt in Bridge?

No, I have never heard of Bridge corrupting files. Bridge opens proprietary Raw files with Camera Raw (hosted either in Bridge or Photoshop), but CR does not write to them, instead writing metadata to either XMP sidecar files (or CR database, if selected in CR preferences). If converting to DNG, CR writes metadata to the DNG but should not write to raw image data. JPEGs are opened/written with Photoshop. So, I can't see why you think it's Bridge causing problems.

Bridge creates a thumbnail and large preview images in its cache for every file it browses. If not set to use embedded images, it uses Camera Raw to create high quality versions of Raw files, and (I assume) it can generate JPEG thumbnails itself. Theses image previews are stored in a hidden cache folder for future browsing use. If these previews become corrupt, it may appear that the files themselves are corrupt. The procedure described by Omke should reset the database and cache, if they have become bad.

You haven't said where these images are stored. Is it on an internal or external drive? It still sounds like a hardware issue to me. It certainly doesn't sound like a Bridge problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 12:12 AM   in reply to terry.oneil

You may be right, but I'm not totally convinced. Just because the images appear corrupt in Bridge, it doesn't mean that Bridge is doing the corrupting, if you see what I mean. And if you rest easy, now that Bridge has gone, you may find that the problem remains if there is a computer fault at the root of it.

But, I have very little experience with Macs, so I can't really advise what to do. If it was a PC, I'd run a disk & memory diagnostic program. You have already mentioned anti-virus and backups.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 19, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to terry.oneil

Reinstall without using the cleaner tool has no use. first deactivate PS and use the official uninstaller for Adobe, then find and read the Adobe Cleaner tool (Google for it)

Follow the instructions and then first use Apple Disk Utility (appl./utilities) and run check and repair permissions.

Then install PS again.

Always make a back up after cheking the files are good.

Can you report back how you import the images, it would not be the first time a false card reader or cable causes corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to terry.oneil

terry.oneil wrote:

Yammer....yes I have opened the files in other programs and it is corrupt in all of them.

Other users that have seen similar "corruption" usually narrowed the problem down to either a bad card reader, bad cables, or a bad drive.  If you have alternate ways to read in info to computer try this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points