Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Grey Screen on All Web Browsers when playing back flash file

Apr 16, 2013 6:57 PM

Tags: #flash #grey_screen #screen_greyed_out

I tried playing back on Chrome, I.E, and Firefox from several different computers with exactly the same outcome every single time. I exported to dvd and that plays but when I export as flash file and click on the index to open up through any of these browsers, all i get is a grey screen. No error code, no nothing, just a grey screen. Any help please? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to newagegrafix

Can be several issues. Please post a screenshot of the build panel, top to bottom, of the flash output.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to newagegrafix

Settings look okay. FYI, when a previous user had this previous symptom, I created a simple version (I think the issue was local playback); I could not get the grey screen, unless I moved the "sources" folder or renamed other assets.

Do you see anything on the grey screen (buttons/highlights)?

You can get problems if your flash security settings don't handle local playback. E.g you may be able to play from web and not locally. You can also get issues for web playback if your host settings are incorrect.

Are you playing locally (on your computer) or have you uploaded and are playing from the web?

In the folder where the index.html file is located, you should see 4 files (ignore the .txt file below). In the "sources" folder, you hvae one or more .flv/.f4v files, and image files - jpg is the menu backgroud and png's are highlights.

EN CS6 Flash Export Main Directory.PNG

EN CS6 Flash Export Sources Directory.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to newagegrafix

I sent you a pm with an email address so you can send your files (without the flv/f4vs). I can take a look at your files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Having the exact same issue. Funny enough I exported a similar project the exact same way last week and it played fine. Was there some update that messed this feature up? Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to jeffbrewerfilms

I didn't hear from newage on my offer to look at files. (You can also upload them so anyone can look.) Send me a private message with an email address if you are interested.

Encore is still at version 6.0.2.004 - so I doubt an Encore update is at issue. Flash player version is updated a lot. Always possible it is an issue. But this symptom occurs for a variety of reasons; almost all have had a solution when examined.

Edit: just output a simple project: plays fine locally.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Jeff sent me his files. The "good" news, for purposes of troubleshooting, is that his files do not work for me! I'm looking for differences....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 9:16 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Short version: nothing I create fails. One step at a time, I changed to the larger pixel size and 24fps, an HD menu, a motion menu, and with a loop point.

But Jeff's version does not work for me, and it looks correct.

I am PC (win 7). None of the differences between our files seems like it would account for the problem. Much of the actual control is in the flashdvd.swf, and we don't have access to its workings.

I'd post a a bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thanks so much for the efforts Stan. I will post up a bug report and see what we can get.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to jeffbrewerfilms

Were you able to play my version?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

I have the very same problem with my Flash DVD, a dreaded grey screen of nothingness.  Has anyone made any headway with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to jeffbrewerfilms

Hi Jeff,

Did you post this bug report?  Please, let me kow.  Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to luxgap26

Whether Jeff posted it or not, you should also post it if you are experiencing the problem. That may help them narrow the issue if they have not identified the specific bug. Keep in mind that bug reports are not likely to result in any short term solution; it is not the same as tech support.

I have not had time to play with it any more, and still have no idea why the files I create work, and the one I got from Jeff does not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I did report it and as Stan mentioned it wouldn't hurt to have it out there in multiple reports. I have created 3 more similar projects, all for different clients, and all 3 worked perfectly using a similar template as the project that has still yet to work. I really can't explain what went wrong and have not resolved the issue. Luckily this project was more of adding the flash as a favor, so I am ok with just moving on. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Thanks again Stan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to jeffbrewerfilms

I have created 3 more similar projects, all for different clients, and all 3 worked perfectly using a similar template as the project that has still yet to work.

Fascinating. Custom template? One of the stock?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Its a custom template. The only thing I changed on the one that did not work was adding a 6th button to my scene menu. Really weird.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to jeffbrewerfilms

A template for flash export (in the build tab), or an encore library type template?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I used an Adobe Photoshop menu template for the Main Menu and Scene Menus and in the flash template I created a new template using F4V 1080p 24fps. The only thing I changed that seemed to have broken the export was the addition of one more button on the Scene Menu in photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to jeffbrewerfilms

in the flash template I created a new template using F4V 1080p 24fps.

The flash template I am referring to is the list on the build tab, when flash is selected as the format, under "flash settings" -> "templates." I can imagine that a problem flash template might create a problem in the basic flash operation (although I don't know how, exactly); I can't see how an Encore menu change could create the problem. But your observation is the best indication we have so far as to what might be amiss.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Oh. For that template I have "None" selected. I did just notice that 1 of the videos I am using in the project is 24 fps, whereas the rest are 23.976. That may be a cause for error, so I will render it out with a new 23.976 file and see what happens.

Update: No luck still after changing the clip and timeline to 23.976 to match the other clips in the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to jeffbrewerfilms

The "hint" for me - total grey screen (no background and mouse hover shows no highlights) - is that the basic menu and highlights are not loading. I think it very unlikely it has anything to do with timelines etc.

I'm glad most of your menus are working!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points