Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Animated Gif - Aligning Multiple layers

Apr 16, 2013 11:16 PM

Tags: #alignment #animated_gif

Hi All

I am creating a rotating animated gif in PS. Now I have about 37 layers, where I increment the angle of each layer with 10 degress relative to the previous one. But even when aligning all my layers with the aligning tools the layers still not align...How can I align them perfectly? See what I mean on the image below here:

NOTE: If the gif here does not animate, see this link:

IK_miniLogo_Gif_Animation.gif

You can see it is off-center

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to DexterDave

I would recommend using a Vector Mask on a Group and animating a Smart Object inside.

animateCircle.gif (click gif for animated display)

animateCircleScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,045 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 17, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to DexterDave

You can also do it with as a frame animation. You still need to create the two shapes centered using  vector shapes the you rastersize and merge them then create an action to dupe and rotate the layer. make a frame animation and save as an animated gif you would need 36 framee I only created half of them.

anilogo.jpg[ JJMack ]

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to DexterDave

The problem is with aligning all those layers perfectly...

I suspect the problem may be the interpolation.

What "group" are you referring to?

If you don’t know what a Layer Group is you may want to consult the Help.

In the Layers Panel in the screenshot I posted the Group should be recognizable.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,045 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 18, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to DexterDave

DexterDave wrote:

@JJMack. I am not sure how to rotate the layer without the older frame copying the new rotated position...that is why I used copies of layers

You do copy the layer and rotate. The layer needs to be perfectly aligned to the center of a is square 1:1 aspect ratio canvas. Guide lines were added 50% Horizontal and Vertically three were added a 49%, 50% and 51%. Then using the elliptical tool set to path mode a circle path was drawn by holding down the Alt key so the path would be from the center and holding the shift key down so the ellipse would be constrain to a circle. You click at the 50% 50% crossed guide line which the mouse pointer snaps to and you drag out the first otter circle.  You then set the path mode to subtract and drag out the inner circle.  Your path is now a ring. Then switch you the rectangle tool and subtract a rectangle path using the 49% and 51% guide lines. Your Path is now two arcs. Create two filled Shape layers the colors in the ring delete 1/2 of the layer so you have two colored arcs. Rastersize the two and merge the two layers int one.  You now have you arcs aligned from the center.  Next the action its simple dupe the layer rotate the layer 10 degrees select previous layer turn off visibility select layer forward.  Play this action till you the required 36 ring layers. Create a frame animation have Photoshop make frames from the layers using the frame animation palette's fly-out option.  Delete the first IK frames and turn on the IK layer visibility in what in now the first frame. It will turn on in all frames. You the save for web the animated gif. PSD file http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/ik.psd  also tried using a smart object ring layer to loose less quality rotating the layer however there seem to be movement in the rotation.  Photoshop may be having a problem dealing wit the transparency in the layer and the break in the circle. http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/ikso.psd so then I put all the ring layers into a group and masked the group with a vector mask. http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/iksomask.psd  the best tool you have when using Photoshop is the gray matter between your ears let it do its thing it may even surprise you sometimes.

ik.gif[ JJMack ][ JJMack ][ JJMack ] 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points