Skip navigation
Bad Habit Studios
Currently Being Moderated

CS3 Error Message Says to Set Layer Break to Auto But It Is!

Apr 17, 2013 3:14 AM

Tags: #cs3 #error #layer #manual #automatic #message #break #dual #dl

Been running Encore CS3 for a couple of years now and have NEVER had this error before:

Dual Layer project with approximately 10G of video content [about 140 minutes worth] rendered in mpeg2-DVD from Premiere and allowed to transcode in Encore

Encore is set for Automatic Page Break but as soon as the "Building Navigation" part of the build process starts, I get the folllownig error message:

"The chosen layer break does not satisfy dual layer requirements,  To fix this either set a new layer break manually or choose to set layer break automatically."

Its ALREADY set to Automatic!  What gives?  I've burned dozens of DL disk in this exact same set up without a hitch, why is this one failing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Bad Habit Studios

Encore may set the layer break correctly if it finds a good place, but there are numerous complaints about it being unreliable.

Build to a folder (no layer break is set), then use ImgBurn to build and ask to be prompted for layer break.

The most frequent problems appear to be when there is no good location for a break. Do a search for "layer break imgburn" and you will see a variety of strategies.

Since this can vary based on the length of an individual timeline, placement (and absence) of chapters, it is often difficult to tell why automatic layer break works on one project and not another.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Bad Habit Studios

>rendered in mpeg2-DVD from Premiere and allowed to transcode in Encore

That seems "odd" to me... when you render MPEG2-DVD from PPro, it is supposed to be DVD legal... which would mean to me that Encore should NOT transcode again

But, do as Stan says... FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to Bad Habit Studios

>let Encore re-Transcode to get all the assets to the proper size to fit on a DL disk

If you are going to have Encore re-transcode an already transcoded asset, I **think** that will result in lower video quality

You might try exporting from PPro as DV AVI so when Encore transcodes to fit, there is only one transcode

That is what I do... AVCHD to Widescreen DV AVI and then let Encore do automatic transcoding to fit a single or dual layer DVD

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to Bad Habit Studios

Congratulations!

It may have nothing to do with the space between, but only the one or two markers that were in a position for it to matter for this particular layer break.

I agree with John; don't let Encore transcode an already compressed mpeg export.

The preferred method is to export from Premiere/AME as MPEG2-DVD so that Encore does not transcode it again. (Chapters need to be created in Premeire.) Use a bitrate calculator to find the datarate, remembering to allow for menus, especially motion mens, audio, etc.

A workaround is to do what you are doing, then examine the Encore transcoded file and see what the datarate is. The export it (again) from PR, at those rates. Use Replace Asset in Encore; make sure the new file has a different filename.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to Bad Habit Studios

You are the judge of acceptable loss; you have obviously been getting acceptable results. One option is to keep records of total length and Encore's final encodes. That may allow you to make a more educated guess on settings for exports from Premiere when your base datarate is not going to work.

I can't recall whether it is Jeff Pulera, but someone has a simplified method for calculating for export from Premiere.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points