Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Menus read 1 Gb in Build Tab when size is 100 MB. Why

Apr 17, 2013 7:02 AM

I know there is a 30 second loop time limit in Encore and it's menus.

I did not like that becuase I like to play full songs over my menus and not have it stop and restart every 30 seconds.

I found a way around that by stretching the menus background in After Effects to meet the length of the song I was going to use.

It works great except for one thing.

When I render a 5 minute background to a menu in After Effects, it comes out to about 1.5 GB. I have 6 of these types menus in my project, so right away there is about 6 GB being used without having Encoded my 2 and a half hour wedding and put that in Encore yet.

This is a lot of space that could be used for making my wedding a little better quality.

So I decided to go back into After Effects and render out a 5 minute background to a menu at a much lower resolution.

It did work and I got it down a lot. almost down to about 100 MB.

I lost a little quality, but not so much that the average viewer would notice it.

I imported it back into Encore, and when I go to the Buid Tab, it still says that it's taking up 1.03 GB.

Why is that? It is just above 100 MB. Not anywhere near 1.03 GB.

Thanks in advance

Premiere Pro CS 5.5

Encore 5.5

After Effects 6.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to EdwurdAdam

I know there is a 30 second loop time limit in Encore and it's menus.

I did not believe that was true. There's a limit to the total size of all menus, motion assets, etc.

Can you use audio only?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to EdwurdAdam

Can you give me more info re the loop point limitation? Even if that were true, a loop point is the time before the part of the menu that repeats, which can be longer.

Your problem, in any event, is the 1 Gig limit for menus.

I wonder if you can reduce the size of the menu renders by changing the default transcode settings. But those cannot be changed in an existing project, only set new, and for DVD, all you can do is reduce the max bitrate to 6. So I'm not optimistic about that.

You can try to transcode the menus outside Encore. Encore will re-transcode any menu that has anything other than highlights added or if it is not to spec. I don't know if Encore will re-transcode simply because of a bitrate setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to EdwurdAdam

What is the background to your menu before you add the audio/video? It all dissappears?

When the video motion in a menu is shorter than the menu duration length (here set by the long audio), it should display the last frame of the movie until it loops. You may have to burn a disk and play on a DVD player to see this.

See "About menu display time and looping":

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WSF49EA5DB-3743-49c2-9831- F66328B192F8.html#WSAC740C6D-83DE-489e-8B15-5A816A3019C7

If your video background asset is 40 seconds, and the loop point is at 10 seconds, the video will end at its end, which will be at 30 seconds once the menu loops.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to EdwurdAdam

My similar test, in Encore preview after render menu, does not result in the background disappearing.

I don't see the difference in our tests.

One question:

I then pick my 35 -40 second Quictime movie that I am going to put into one of the film strip Video Drop Zones. I import it as an asset and then drop it into the menu into one of the drop zones. /servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-5245555-320684/31Secondsin.jpg

When I do this, Encore creates a timeline for the video asset, and links the button to that timeline. Is that what is happening for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to EdwurdAdam

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers