Skip navigation
InBlue89
Currently Being Moderated

Watermarking photos

Apr 17, 2013 8:31 AM

Hi, Im trying to make a watermark in Indesign for photos. Something that can be placed on any photo for a friend who is starting a small photography business. I have used InDesign mostly for making business cards I am not very familiar with watermarks. Can anyone help me?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to InBlue89

In order for them to be effective, the watermarks should be created in an image editing application, preferably Adobe Photoshop. The watermarks would be part of the image. If you added them on top of the photos in InDesign, they could easily be removed in a PDF file using Adobe Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to InBlue89

He could give you the images and have you edit them in Photoshop. I'm not an expert in this: You would need to find out how to do it on the Photoshop forum. Or Google "watermark Photoshop CS6"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to InBlue89

You could put your watermark on top of the images using some transparency. When exporting to PDF make sure all transparency is flattened -- i.e., "fused" with the original image as a new bitmap. That way, the original in your document can be left unchanged, but the PDF versions are marked.

Downside is, *usually* we try to avoid unnecessary transparency flattening :-) Try with setting the PDF version to the lowest possible value in the Export as PDF dialog.

(While typing, I suddenly realized you didn't mention saving as PDF, or any *other* export option. Surely you don't mean to distribute the original InDesign files?)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to InBlue89

InBlue89 wrote:

so is this something that he has to do on his computer? it isnt something I can make for him?

To keep all the work within InDesign, and still avoid the watermark text being manipulable in a PDF or ID, position the watermark frame over the graphic's frame, then export the ID document as JPEG. Then, place the JPEG file in an ID document.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers