Skip navigation
lbailey678
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS3 does not accept serial number

Apr 22, 2013 11:30 AM

Tags: #cs3

I have been running a valid copy which I registered when I installed. Recently get a message to uninstall, re-install then contact support. When contacting support, they say the SN is invalid and refer me here. I registered the SN three years ago, and it is no longer there. I have CS3 Dreamweaver, and InDesign which the registration is no loger in the myProducts file either. I haven't tested, but am assuming I will have a similar problem with them as well.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 12:06 PM   in reply to lbailey678

Do you have some type of eveidence that you purchased the software from Adobe or a authorized seller? I have no practical experiance with this but if you have proof you should be able to go back to Adobe support and have your serial # reactivated. I have done that for occasions where a HD crash used up too many activations..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to lbailey678

Bought it on EBay?  Odds are about 99.9% that it is pirated.

The serial number probably didn't go through, the pirated version just said it went through.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 18, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to lbailey678

OP you wrote the serial number worked three years ago when you install CS3 on your machine.  Your either a lair, telling the truth, a pirate or have a failing memory and are not installing from the same pirate media used three years ago. I do believe the serial you have is invalid as that is what Adobe keeps telling you. Now if your being truthful should now know you were duped, were taken. 

I'll buy hardware off ebay for I think selling stolen hardware wouldn't be common on ebay sellers would need a source of stolen hardware to have a supply to sell.  Software is a different matter its easy to replicate cracked software any computer or copier can be used. 

If you get something new get it from the right place.  If you get something from Adobe buy from Adobe retailer prices will not be much lower and Adobe records will show your legal user.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJ - don't be so harsh.

Many of the pirated software packages appear to validate the serial number, but don't actually contact Adobe (the pirates change the code or networking to bypass authentication).  Most people who bought pirated copies of CS3 off of EBay, Amazon marketplace, or even a few less scrupulous retailers,  just don't even realize that they have pirated software -- since it came in a very authentic looking box and installed without errors.  It's only when they try to purchase an upgrade, install updates, or contact Adobe for other validation that they learn that they have pirated software.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 18, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Yes but he was not trying to upgrade. If they had used the pirate install again  it would have fool him again, seem to work, they would still be in the dark.   They must have used a real install and when the bogus serial failed contacted Adobe.  They just can not seem to understand they were duped by an unscrupulous seller. I was not trying to be any harsher  then your append it was meant to help them understand what went down.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to lbailey678

This exact same thing happened to me over the weekend. The version that I have was not purchased off of eBay. I registered it in 2007. When I contacted support, they verified my serial number but still directed me to the forums. Photoshop seems to be working but it shows a registration connection failure when I go to Help>Registration.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to mooner70

Um, by that description you have a completely different issue.

The OP has an invalid serial number.

You have what appears to be valid, but cannot connect to the servers to register.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

True.

I  guess what I should have said is that the same thing happend to me as far as opening the app and getting the message that said I needed to uninstall and re-install. Do you have any idea why I can not register my copy that has been registered for over 5 years?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to mooner70

No idea, and Customer Support should have helped you with that or given you more information.

You might get more specific help from the install and setup forum (where they just deal with these issues): http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup?view=overview

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 22, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to lbailey678

Morals of the story:

• If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    • Never, ever, buy software off eBay.

Can't say I recall ever seeing a message that states simply "Uninstall and reinstall the software."  Did it say anything else besides that?

-Noel 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points