Skip navigation
NeilPeelington
Currently Being Moderated

Images look different switching between Library and Develop (Lr4.4)

Apr 17, 2013 9:15 PM

Tags: #export #library #preview #lightroom4 #4.4

D1.pngL1.png

Images look different switching between Library and Develop.

The export version is the Library version. That means I cannot predict when editing in Develop module what the export will look like.

This isn't a calibration issue or about previewing images in other software, my monitor is fine.

This isn't about other software... you can clearly see here the difference between the two module views at 1:1.

I have discarded all previews and rendered 1:1 previews again.

I see literally dozens of reports of this problem on various internet forums dating back to 2011, but I haven't found a solution.

I am running Windows 7 and have no problems in any other software.

I would really appreciate any help you have, because this is making my work impossible.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

I just did a fresh install of 4.4 on a brand new Mac Mini w/16GB RAM and having the exact same issue.  Looks like my adjustments are not being applied to the initial preview that opens in Library.  When I zoom in to 1:1, they are applied, and zoom back out (in Lib) they are applied.  This was not an issue in LR 3.x for me.

This is a reall problem and is crushing my review workflow, as I apply a few basic presets on import so I can effectivly review and cull images in Library before heading to Develop.  I cannot do this now,

Help?

BTW, I don't want to hear about re-installing LR.4.4.  I just did that on a NEW machine and still have the same issue I was having on the old machine.

Thanks!

S

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to FlyFitz

What size previews do you choose to build on Import?

If you select a group of images and go to Library - Previews - Render Standard-sized Previews, do they get fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

I used Standard since upgrading to LR4 last year.  I just checked the Full-Size preview, but haven't tried it yet.  I'm willing to wait for a longer import so that I can do accurate, fast, reviews of 1:1 previews as soon as they are all important.  Need to check for focus/sharpness before culling on most images, as I do a lot of small bird photography.

Is this a bad approach?

Thanks!!!

Sean

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to FlyFitz

To my second question: If you select a group of images and go to Library - Previews - Render Standard-sized Previews, do they get fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

Will try that tonight and report back--thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

It dosen't have to be - but if you have that problem with many it is how you fix more than one at a time...

Right now we are testing to see where the hiccup is.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

And if you zoom 1:1, allow the preview to render in the background, and zoom back, does it update?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

Do you shoot Raw + JPEG?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

Export looks like your Library Preview? In your Export Dialog, are you, by chance, selecting Original in the File Settings section?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

Adobe employees have a Staff Badge. I am just a Community Member.

At this point, were it me, I would do a preference reset. http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14226-Resetting-(or-Tras hing-)-the-Lightroom-Preferences-file

If that doesn't affect it, I would try it in a blank catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

So Reset Pref -didn't work?

New Blank Catalog - didn't work?

Adobe Staff appearances are sporadic at best - especially during a beta launch.  I am hoping another Guru comes in with a suggestion.

At this point, I am out of the simple stuff to try.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

I doubt there are countless users with this problem. I very rarely see it and what we did normally fixes it.

This is a User-to-User forum and not offiical Adobe Support.  That is located here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_lightroom

However, if you wanted to select that single image and Export as a Catalog… and send it to me, I would take a look at it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

It takes less than 10 minutes to do a new 4.4 install. JIC yours is corrupt.  You can remove via Control Panel and reinstall a fresh 4.4.

I did the Google search before I commented on the thread. If the problem were widespread and "countless" it would be commanding a whole lot more attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to NeilPeelington

Just tried this (multi-select and try Lib>Render Standard Prev) and no, it did not work.  Got the message that "No previews were rendered - All standard previews are up to date. ".  Bummer.  Again, this is a fresh install of 4.4 on a new machine.  Had same issue with 4.3 on PC before I got this new Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

I'm not an LR expert and I don't have the problem, but could it be hardware/OS/driver related? Apologies if the following don't make sense with regard to LR, but I'd check

CameraRAW cache size

Process 2010 vs. 2012 - does it change anything (if 2010 works, then it may have been a ressource issue)

Updating Graphics card drivers

OpenCL support enable/disable

Does using DirectX or OpenGL make a difference? Or changing the OpenGL mode? Or updating DirectX if it is an older version (really fishing in the dark here, I don't know whether this makes sense for LR)?

RAM large enough?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 10:08 PM   in reply to NeilPeelington

I am having THE EXACT same problem.  No matter what I try (including everything listed in this forum), my Library module does not reflect the sharpening I do in the Develop module.  Similarly, my exported JPGs are not sharpened to the level I set in Develop.  In fact, if I try using the LR preset sharpening in Library, it decreases the sharpness of I've done in Develop.  The opposite is not true (if I increase sharpness in Develop, it does nothing to the Library view). FYI I shoot in raw, import as DNG, most of my images are shot at ISO 400-800 on a Canon 5d Mark II.  They should be crystal clear (and they are with a few tweaks in Develop, but then they soften in Library or Export). 

I've spent 3+ hours on the phone with adobe support during two separate calls, and they just keep bumping me up to the next level of support.  I'm still waiting to hear back from the 3rd technician. I've tried upgrading and downgrading my LR versions (currently using 4.4).  When I export from the Print module and select "sharpen" my exported JPGs do reflect the sharpening (ironically, these files are very small, like 1 or 2 MB whereas even if I export a 30MB jpg or export as a full size DNG they still appear soft and lack any sharpening).  The Print module is the only way I can get an exported sharpened image, but I don't have time to export every image indivually this way.  The sharpening does not happen when I use the exact same export settings from the develop module (niether with the develop module sharpen tool nor with the sharpen for screen or print on export options). 

As mentioned in this thread, I've seen this isssue on several different threads online, but no one seems to have a resolution.  Again ... I've tried ALL the basics several times and had extensive adobe phone support. 

What good is editing my files if they are pretty much held hostage in the develop module?  I'm so frustraited and am really at a loss. Unfortunately, I don't expect any resolution at this point (posts I've seen with this issue go back 2+ years with no resolution), but I wanted to be another voice to the users who are having this extremely frustrating issue. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to LittleJordanFam

I get the feeling there are some basic misunderstandings here. Sample quote:

However - zoomed in at 1:1 if I flick between the Develop and Library the images look the same.

This isn't a solution of course, because nobody can work at 1:1

This is the way it has to be. It's not a bug.

The only way to faithfully reproduce sharpening/noise on-screen is to let one image pixel correspond to one screen pixel. All other ratios involve up- or downsampling, softening, artifacts and whatnot. 1:1 is the only way to go.

This goes for Library as well as Develop. So you need 1:1 previews (not standard), viewed 1:1, to make any judgements about how the final result will be. Anything else is a guess and inherently inaccurate.

Apologies if I misunderstood.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 12:15 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

I wonder, does this also happen with Clarity to you? I don't use any sharpening usually, so again, sorry if this is without interest for the others, but on a few images I've used high Clarity settings, so I checked them, and it seems these Clarity settings got carried over to Library and also got exported properly for me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:48 AM   in reply to p2j

I'm having the exact issue with Light Room.

I'm having the same problem with this, like this guy in this forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3888296

As after editing in L.R, I'm having the same issue of 'Noise' reduction not being visible on the exported picture.

It's a bit frustrating as I have people waiting for photos.

This IS a common problem, appreciate it if any1 can help...

Raj.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to NeilPeelington

Thanks for everything posted here.  I completely agree that editing a large file in 1:1 all the time is not practical.  Even when I am sharpening just the eyes on a portrait with the adjustment brush, at some point to need to zoom out to see the overall effects on the image.  In Develop, I can still see the sharpening even zoomed out, but I can't in library ... if that is a purposeful design of the program it just seems flawed to me. 

However, I did find a recent thread that has seemed to help me:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/868475

As suggested there, I just now set my Mac's Prievew App to display 1:1 rather than resizing, and I can finally see some sharpening in the exported image. I need to play around with it to see if I'm seeing the sharpening which occured on export or if it's the sharpening I did with the detail sliders in Develop.  I plan to do some trials with and without output sharpening on export and with and without detail sharpening,  but for now I'm just happy to have a crisply exported jpg from anything other than the Print module.

I exported while I was in the 1:1 view on develop (not sure if that matters, but it seemed to work).  The odd thing was that when I had previously exported and then reimported the jpg into LR the sharpening was NOT there, so I'm not sure how it could have only been a "Prievew" settings flaw (plus I emailed my images to adobe and they also saw the discrepency on their monitors) ... I'm so confused at this point. But like I said, I was finally able to just now export a sharpened image from Develop, so I'm content.  I am curious to play around with NR to see if I am able to see NR adjustments now with this new change. 

BTW NeilPeelington, I really like the way that you use NR to soften skin in an artistic way. 

Long story short, I still find it very odd that LR is designed not carry detail adjustments over to libary unless in 1:1, but I plan to do some more research on this in hopes of understanding it more.   I hope that the thread above with the suggestions about changing prievew settings helps someone else who comes across this issue (be it a bug or a purposeful program design). 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points