I purchased these cards for two new machines based on the promotion on the NVIDIA web site for Adobe Premiere and After Effects, only to get the machines built, cards and software installed and oops, no recognition by Adobe products. Anyone have any idea if these boards are being evaluated by Adobe for inclusion? I need to know whether to pull them and get the older 2000 and 4000 (no K designation). I hate having to go down for a week if this could be coming shortly.
Edit (or rename) cuda_supported_cards.txt as described in "How to Unlock Adobe Premiere CS5, CS5.5, CS6 and CS7 to use almost any NVIDIA graphics card with CUDA acceleration." by Studio 1 Productions. No need to pull anything.
I found that article, edited the file and it helped with the render process in Premiere, so thank you very much. Unfortunately it does not seem to effect performance in After Effects but that is probably a different forum. A file that I rendered on my previous machine with half the ram, a CPU 4 generations back but with a GPU recognized video card took 1.5 hrs, is now rendering with an anticipated time of 4.25 hrs in the system with an i7 processor, 32GB RAM, files on a Solid State Drive but with the K4000 video card. One Step Forward, two steps back
Interesting feedback. I went through the documentation you recommended and at first had no luck but it turned out that David from Studio 1 had not updated the app for the K series yet. He was kind enough to do that. After running his program, however, a file that had rendereded in 1.5 hours in my older system (with the GTX580) took 3 hrs and 25 min with the Quattro unrecognized and is currently slated to take 5 hrs and 10 min with the Quattro card recognized. I went thorugh the optimization docs you identified and made the changes to the memory, cpus, etc. so at this point I am totally baffeled. I am thinking I should probably just pull the 580 out of the old machine and put the K4000 on the shelf until the new verstions of Premiere and AE are released next month. This has not been a pleasant experience so far. I know it is impossible to trouble shoot from long distance, but it would be great if there is something simple that I am just overlooking that will turn this new machine into the beast it is supposed to be. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
By "Quattro," I assume that you mean "Quadro." http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro.html
"Quattro" is a designation for an AWD Audi vehicle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_(four-wheel-drive_system)
Now, I am surprised at the drop in performance, i.e. longer processing times, with the K Series Quadro cards. That is interesting, and a bit unexpected.
I'll keep following this thread, to learn something. I have been a long-time Quadro-user, and have loved the cards, but my current nVidia cards are not in the Quadro lineup - at least not yet.
After running his program, however, a file that had rendereded in 1.5 hours in my older system (with the GTX580) took 3 hrs and 25 min with the Quattro unrecognized and is currently slated to take 5 hrs and 10 min with the Quattro card recognized.
Make a very simple and short test project with a "known good" video file with a "known good" resolution and codec, e.g. a 1080p30 MPEG2. Run encoding / rendering tests on either machines, note settings and time on each run. Swap the GTX-580 and Quadro K4000 between the two, install drivers, run the tests again. Let us know what you find out. If the results are as expected - i.e. the new system is faster - then something's fishy with your source files and/or project.
I just wanted everyone to know that this worked and life is much better now. I rebuilt the file and it only took 1hr and 15min to render which is basically 1/3 of what the old machine took to render it. Alex was correct in diagnosing the problem and bad source files. I want to say thanks to Alex and David from Studio 1. Together they have saved me man years, which is really important for someone way over the hill like me
Thanks for the kudos! (Nice vid!)
(I have to give kudos to Eric from ADK for this - he mentioned elsewhere on the forum that source files could be the problem with unusually long rendering and/or encoding times.)