Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Please help... I keep getting a pop up box about Shockwave Flash not responding.

Apr 18, 2013 1:16 AM

Tags: #adobe #flash #shockwave #freezing #unresponsive #busy

For about 2 weeks now, I keep getting this pop up box that says:

Warning:  Unresponsive Plugin

Shockwave Flash may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.  You can stop the plug now, or you can continue to see if the plugin will complete.

Everytime it happens which is muiltiple times an hour and on any web page that has flash I am assuming, everything freezes up before the box pops up, during and after for a few mins. Sometimes my browser does not unfreeze, and I have to open my task manager to close it down. I have tried finding ways to fix this, but no luck. I found this EXACT SAME question asked a few times in THESE forums, and no answers given to those people, so I HOPE I get the help here...

I am using windows 7 home premium 64 bit, & firefox is my browser. Everything is up to date, adobe flash ( 11.7.700.169 ), firefox ( 20.0.1 ), and etc... adobe flash IS enabled, same as the plugin.

Some of the things I have tried so far...

hardware acceleration - is already off

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling adobe flash  many times, I have also tried this with my anti virus turned off first.

I even tried uninstalling adobe flash, and my firefox browser, then reinstalling adobe first, and then firefox after (I also did this in reverse, installing firefox then adobe flash)

*on other thing I wanted to mention is in my "flash player settings manager" under the advance tab, it says that "active x" is not installed.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to Lady_Ann

You are talking about Flash player (v11.7) in the Shockwave player forum.

Flash and Shockwave are two different browser plugins.

They both run perfect on Windows 7 64bit and Firefox 20.

If you need help regarding flash player, post your messages in the proper forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer

Anyway, try the following:

- uninstall the flash player

- reboot the computer

- get the latest flash player form here:

http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Select "Windows 7" and "Flash Player 11 for Other Browsers".

- download that EXE file.

- close all the browser windows and tabs and perform the installation.

That's all.

cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to necromanthus

I am having the exact same problem.  I constantly get that error message.  I have tried reinstalling shockwave and that didn't work so is there anything else I can try?

I have WindowsXP and  use Firefox.  Everything is up to date.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to Lady_Ann

I have been having the same problem, running XP.  I recall there was an update a few weeks ago, I don't remember if it was for shock or flash.  But ever since then, I get the shock player unresponsive.  Haven't found a fix yet...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to necromanthus

I have the latest update, I have Google Chrome and they automatically update. So I can't uninstall. The only time I have a problem is connecting to Hidden Chronicals.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to Betty1940

Why are you all posting here in the Shockwave Player forum when you have a problem with Flash Player?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Adobe calls their flash program "shockwave flash" which appears to be the confusion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to Lady_Ann

The Flash Player forums are here

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer/using_flashplayer (usage problems)

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer/installing_flashplayer (installation problems)

Use the 'Start a discussion' link on the right-hand side to start a new topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 10:30 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

The error message clearly says SHOCKWAVE PLAYER,   so why woud we go to some other product.  

We need SHOCKWAVE PLAYER error message help. 

We need people to read the question b4 responding.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 2:26 AM   in reply to tstmlone

tstmlone wrote:

The error message clearly says SHOCKWAVE PLAYER,   so why woud we go to some other product.  

The message clearly says SHOCKWAVE FLASH, which has been explained to you is FLASH PLAYER.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to Lady_Ann

5. Pat Willener,

01-May-2013 04:18    in reply to Betty1940

Why are you all posting here in the Shockwave Player forum when you have a problem with Flash Player?

I think you know the answer. MVPs aren't very 'valuable' if all they do is highlight that Adobe have misleading names for their plugins, and redirect users.

Lady_Ann

Please help... I keep getting a pop up box about Shockwave Flash not responding.

18-Apr-2013 09:16

Tags: #adobe #flash #shockwave #freezing #unresponsive #busy   

For about 2 weeks now, I keep getting this pop up box that says:

Warning:  Unresponsive Plugin

Shockwave Flash may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.  You can stop the plug now, or you can continue to see if the plugin will complete.

For me, this also occurs for "Shockwave Player..." I've done what Chris Campbell advised here, but to no avail. Tried everything Lady_Ann has.

FAO Chris Campbell, Arpit Kapoor, Rave, Jeromie Clark, Hitomi Kudo, libflashplayer.so -

What's needed

1.  Post in all relevant threads to say you're looking into the prob for both plugins, and will notify all regd users when solved.

2.  Post a sticky to this effect in the discussions for both plugins.

3.  Rename Shockwave Flash Flash Player.

4.  Rename Shockwave for Director Shockwave Player.

5.  Solve this prob for both plugins.

You would think some of this is planned, but if staff would confirm, it'll save everyone a lot of time.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:10 PM   in reply to Lady_Ann

Edit:

This did not work for long. Solution: Use Intenet Explorer

I assume you're using Firefox... I tried all of the advice from Mozilla & it did not work, but tried this & it did:

In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar & press Enter.

Type dom.max_script_run_time in the Search box.

Double-click the entry & change it to a higher number (it was set to 10 so I set it to 99999999 to stop Firefox annoying me every time I debug).

I expect it would popup after a long wait, but it allows more time. This will probably allow other scripting errors to continue, but using Tab Mix's Session Manager I can just end the process when necessary, restart Firefox and close the offending page before it loads.

I used a higher number for a while, but eventually started getting 'A script on this page may be busy' errors. You might need to lower the value if this happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2014 11:22 AM   in reply to necromanthus

flash doesn't run perfect on any platform. you probably have a computer that runs it smoothly with the OS/browser you mentioned, but that certainly doesn't mean it's every computer. flash and shockwave are both awful software full of bugs and glitches and they allow security threats like video add popups in every browser i've used it with. the key to fixing this bs software from this bs company to keep it disabled and only renable when you need to see specific content that uses it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points