Skip navigation
rorydennis
Currently Being Moderated

Question- How to use HDV files in Premiere Pro

Apr 18, 2013 2:07 AM

Hello everyone, I am new to using Mac's and the Adobe range as I have just started a course in film and television production.

I have recorded footage on a mini DV tape, in PAL HDV mpeg format, and transferred the footage from Tape to Digital Hard Disk at University (where it plays on Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5) but it will not respond once I add it to a sequence in Premiere or try to preview on my home laptop. There is no video or sound when I try to open using my laptop (just an empty black bar when I add to a sequence).

I have tried to find the answer or a Codec but with no success and I am trying to avoid working on the project on campus as I live an hour away and just spent a lot on the computer to avoid such trips.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I should add that the files play perfectly when I open them using Quick Time and the update option in Premiere is greyed out (not available)

thanks for your time

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to rorydennis

So the school has CS5.5 right? Which version are YOU using at home? Is it fully licensed or a trial, since some codecs are not supplied in the trial version for reasons of licensing/royalties.

Also, you are using a MacBook? And was footage captured on Mac? I believe Premiere will capture HDV differently between a PC and Mac, want to make sure things are the same in your workflow. Please clarify specifics of gear being used.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to rorydennis

On your MBP (MacBook Pro), in PrPro CS 6, do you have all of the Export Formats and Sequence Presets available?

Just open a test Project, and check what you have for possible Export Formats. You can also check the Sequence Presets too. If you are missing some, then maybe this FAQ Entry will be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1050730?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to rorydennis

transferred the footage from Tape to Digital Hard Disk at University

How exactly?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to rorydennis

Since you are on a Mac, have you updated your OS, to get the latest video drivers installed? If not, that would be "Job 1."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to rorydennis

I've never had to uninstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 2:11 AM   in reply to rorydennis

It seems your Premiere Pro version is not activated, so you can't use HDV footage directly.

If you re-install PrPro, you will have to get activation numbers , normally given by Adobe when you buy the product.

In your case, with your seller far from Australia, the situation may be difficult to solve.

If you want to use PrPro on your Mac, with your footage, it's possible :

1- capture your clips using iMovie, by connecting your camcorder to the MBP by the firewire link.

iMovie will recognize the cam, then you will be able to capture videos.

After that, the files are located in a directory 'iMovie events' in video directory on your machine.

2- You can use a free software:  MPEG Streamclip on your Mac (to install from internet), then open your HDV clips and

save them on DV format (or other one which is recognized by your PrPro). These files should be readable

by your PrPro.

This can solve temporarily your problem, but the quality of your video will be downgraded from the

HD HDV format to DV SD one.

Bon courage

JM

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points