Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to create an action to batch save multiple photos?

Apr 18, 2013 5:14 AM

I have Photoshop CS6 and I'd like to know how to create an action to save multiple photos in a batch command. I've been searching the Web, but I haven't been able to locate anything useful on this (except one article for CS5). Seems a bit odd. Anyway, I already know how to create an action, but what I'm stuck on is having the action pause and open a dialogue box so I can do things like name a photo, choose the size I want in the Save for Web dialogue, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to dougdraws

Toggle dialogues by clicking in the second column of the Actions palette.

dialogue.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to dougdraws

After you click "Save" in the Save for Web dialogue box, a second dialogue box appears where you can name the file.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to dougdraws

dougdraws wrote:

I have Photoshop CS6 and I'd like to know how to create an action to save multiple photos in a batch command. I've been searching the Web, but I haven't been able to locate anything useful on this (except one article for CS5). Seems a bit odd. Anyway, I already know how to create an action, but what I'm stuck on is having the action pause and open a dialogue box so I can do things like name a photo, choose the size I want in the Save for Web dialogue, etc.

That's an odd request.  Make Batch interactive not automatic. You should have no problem using batch to save multiple image for use. That is what batch is all about its function in life. When an action is created with batch in mind often the final step recorded is a "Save As".  When recording that step often what you will do is not change the current documents name. You just point to your desktop as the save location and use the Save As dialog file type pull down menu to select the type of image file you want saved.  Then when you batch this action you check the option to override actions save as step. Batch will over ride the actions save as steps desktop location. Over ride save as steps also has additional file naming options.

I see you also want to be able to set the size you don't want a fixed size recorder into the action.  In that case you should should not be using Batch.  Photoshop ships with a script that is also a batch facility the has resizing options. You get to it from menu File>Scripts>Image Processor... this script is limited to a few file types and you can only save one version a of the file types per run.  There is a better image processor you can download from Russell Brown's web site. When you install it you can access it  using menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points