Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cloud version vs Suite version

Apr 18, 2013 5:28 AM

Tags: #versions #suite #updates #cs6 #cloud #upgrades

Other than pricing, ownership and support, is there any other differences?
I ask because i was reading about Fluid Grid Design, and many sites proceed to discuss the latest updates (to 12.2 for Cloud version) fix many of the issues users are encountering.
so i check my version and see i have 12.0.1 of Suite version, which i can update to 12.0.3 (at time of wrtiing).
Here's my confusion: will i run into problems, and have to wait for a new Suite Update, or are the latest versions the same (same bugs / same patches) with just different numbering systems ???
(i hope thats understandable)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

The perpetual license (disk) and cloud versions have quite a few differences in menu structure, functionality and features.

The cloud version offers new features as soon as they are available with regular updates. The disk version won't get most of the cloud features until a major update to CS7.

They are so different now that you also cannot use most of the DWCS6 manuals or books with the cloud version without losing some hair and increasing your blood pressure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to WebOfWebs

As Jon said, Cloud gives you both minor & major upgrades for as long as you subscribe to it.  Other features include:

• access to 17 software titles,
    • 5 Business Catalyst sites (basic plan),
    • TypeKit web fonts,
    • Edge products (Reflow, Animate, Coder),
    • Cloud storage space,
    • ability to install titles on either Mac, Win or both,
    • a bunch of other features you won't get with perpetual licenses.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

So, to oppose the Cloud Version, I have the following observations:

• You don't have to have access to the Internet.
    • You don't have to retrain yourself as the new menu structure comes in and you have to do it on work that you're in the middle of.
    • Google offers lots of more free web fonts than does TypeKit.
    • The license is yours. If you don't need an upgrade, you're not paying fot it continually.
    • If Adobe's servers go down, you can still get your work done.

The way you deduct a perpetual license from (US) taxes is as a purchase. The way you deduct Cloud is as a "rental." There are tax advantages to either, but one may outweigh the other, depending on how your business is structured.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to mhollis55

To clarify a few misconceptions. 

• You don't have to have access to the Internet.

Cloud software does not need continual internet access either. After you download & install it, you can work offline except for once each month to verify status.  That takes about 60 seconds.

• You don't have to retrain yourself as the new menu structure comes in and you have to do it on work that you're in the middle of.

Installing updates/upgrades is optional.  You don't have to do it.

• Google offers lots of more free web fonts than does TypeKit.

Free is free.  You can use whichever web fonts you prefer, Edge, TypeKit, Google, Font Squirrel, etc...

• If Adobe's servers go down, you can still get your work done.

If Adobe's Cloud servers go down, it does not effect the software running on your machine.  You simply wouldn't have access to your Cloud space or other software downloads.  Incidentally, I don't keep actual work files on the Cloud.  I keep backups on the Cloud.   My work files are all on my local hard drives.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Installing updates/upgrades is optional.  You don't have to do it.

That's true but some of these radical menu changes have been introduced in a very low key way upon unsuspecting users who click OK to update without being aware of the trauma they are unleashing on themselves.

New day: launch DW, updates available, click OK. Insert menu radically altered....

It's getting to the point where caution and much research and homework is required before updating because Adobe seems to currently have a dangerous habit of changing menus (and therefore workflows) in small dot releases and then trying to tell us that it's for our benefit.

The Dreamweaver Cloud update made me very wary of Adobe's wisdom in what they include in updates. I simply don't trust updates any more.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to John Waller

It's getting to the point where caution and much research and homework is required before updating

For me, it's always been that way.  Well before the Cloud even,  you had to do research before installing an update -- well, at least I did.  I don't allow any updates/upgrades to occur on my work box until I know exactly what they do. 

And I often ignore updates/grades until my plate is clear of pressing projects. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

For me, it's always been that way.  Well before the Cloud even,  you had to do research before installing an update

Same here but I guess my point relates to degrees of change in each update. The level of research required gets bigger and bigger.

Dot releases have usually meant small changes and tweaks. Never menu restructures. They've been reserved for version upgrades.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to John Waller

I know exactly what you mean.  It's a whole new approach to updates -- one we have to get accustomed to if we're going to keep subscribing.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to WebOfWebs

Just so you know, Creative Suite boxed disks will be discontinued after May 1st.  Purchased software will be fullfilled by digital download.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

Frankly, I think everyone's headed to digital download. One may purchase lots of software at the Apple App Store (including Photoshop elements Editor, interestingly enough) and Microsoft is obviously headed in that direction with the newest version of Windows.

Putting software on a disc, boxing it, shrink wrapping it and sending it out on trucks costs money (labor, shipping, materials and the equipment to make the discs), so if one could reliably just send it over the internet, profits increase.

I see my daughter eventually pulling out a boxed bit of (obsolete) software in a few years and asking me what it is.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to mhollis55

I feel for the 56k modem using designers out there after May 1.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

This may open up an opportunity for resellers to download and package the software for people who can't do direct downloads. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to mhollis55

I see my daughter eventually pulling out a boxed bit of (obsolete) software in a few years and asking me what it is.

Reminds me of this article I saw the other day:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheFloppyDiskMeansSaveAnd14OtherOldPeopl eIconsThatDontMakeSenseAnymore.aspx

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points