Skip navigation
ITS-Ostate
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop-Color Profiles

Apr 18, 2013 8:40 AM

I am working with a user who is having trouble specifically with Adobe 1998 RGB color profile. They are on a mac mini printing to an epson 3880. When they go to print they want to select Adobe 1998 RGB but it is not an option. The .icc file seems to be located in the correct location on the computer. We have toyed with the ColorSync option and assign profile options. Any ideas or explanations?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to ITS-Ostate

Adobe RGB is a monitor or colorspace profile, not a printer profile.

They should be selecting the profile for their printer and paper combination.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 19, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to ITS-Ostate

Can you explain WHY a user would want to choose Adobe RGB 1998 when printing?

If not, perhaps you want to do a bit of research to understand color-management a bit better.

One of the senior engineers at Adobe is telling you the request makes no sense.  There are few who understand color-management better than Chris Cox.  I suggest you consider his comments seriously.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to ITS-Ostate

Adobe RGB is not an option for printing much the way that "sky" is not an option for fueling your car: it just doesn't make sense in that context.

Adobe RGB is a description of a monitor, or an abstract colorspace.  It does not describe the behavior of a particular printer, paper, and ink combination.  Selecting Adobe RGB when printing does not make sense, because that profile does not apply to printing situations.

Epson 7880 Glossy Photo Paper.icc is a profile for a printer, paper, and ink combination that could be selected when printing (assuming you are printing to an Epson 7880).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to ITS-Ostate

There may be some confusion regarding the post' terminology.  In the Printer Setting dialog in Photoshop, the RGB can be selected as the colorspace, not the Photoshop .icc profile in the driver...

Screen shot 2013-04-19 at 04-19-13 ◊ 6.40.57 PM.png

The above are found in the Print dialog box.  If I'm understanding the post correctly, he is not getting the option for Adobe RGB.  If that's the case, it may be the driver may have to be updated or perhaps permissions need to be corrected on that particular machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 23, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to John Danek

Thank you, John.  I had misinterpreted the original post to be describing a desire to use the Adobe RGB 1998 profile as the printer/paper profile, which makes no sense.

I don't have this printer, so I don't see the above dialog.  It seems to me this has to do with the printer driver installation more than Photoshop, but I'm not up on how these things integrate on a Mac.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to ITS-Ostate

i read this three times and still can't guess what OS version, what version of Photoshop you are using, and what Color Handling option you are using in the print utility, or your Epson driver version

it also still reads to me like you are trying to select AdobeRGB as your Printer Profile (already pointed out)

if you mean AdobeRGB is your Source profile, that should be noted in File> Print: Color Management> Document Profile: Adobe RGB

not sure how anyone could be helpful w/o that info, but try this:

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/epson/cs6/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points