Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is "frame blending" really?

Apr 18, 2013 8:55 AM

I can't figure out what "frame blending" is supposed to be. The fact that it's a *checkbox* makes it even stranger. It's either on or off. How does this differ from "motion blur" (is it just a synonym?) and why is it not an effect you put in the timeline but a boolean on/off option when exporting?

I did read the pop-up summary when hovering the option. It does explain it somewhat, but doesn't really answer my questions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Frame blending affects how the image looks when you change it's speed.  It can 'smooth' out the motion a little if it's too choppy.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

There are two frameblending options:

1. on a clip: this smoothes out motion when the speed of the clip has been altered as said before.

2. in export: this should be checked when the export framerate differs from the sequence framerate. If the source and destination frame rates are the same, it will have no effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

People didn't like it on by default.   Adobe listened.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

There have been many of those around here lately.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

silly people with a silly request.

Heh, heh. I was one of them. (We're talking back in 2007.) I didn't like the default (particularly for what I was doing at the time), and I think it was not possible under some conditions to avoid it.

Example: some slow-mo benefits from interpolated frames and a bit of blur. But when you are looking to get crisp looks in between, you don't want frame blending. And for some animation subjects (think import from After Effects) it was a problem. Sorry; don't remember now why it was not as simple as turning it off. Like lots of things now, I'd like a toggle to control the default (on or off).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

If you want it default on for export make a preset.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points