Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is there no Batch Export of multiple clips from Premiere CS6?

Apr 18, 2013 9:30 AM

This is a no brainer.  Every other NLE has had this for at least a decade, yet PP CS6 makes you INDIVIDUALY export clips rather than sending them as one batch. What a time waste for someone looking to move to CS6 from FCP and finding it's slower.  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to henryfilms

I agree with you 100%.  It would make it a lot easier to send clips out for CC, FX, etc.

Submit a feature request.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to henryfilms

Eh, probably so, but the time I save working in a 64 bit application with Mercury Playback more than makes up for the time that I have to individualy add sequences to the queue from the timeline. Still - good feature to include in an update.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to henryfilms

Prelude might be the better tool for this job.  It can batch convert on Import.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to henryfilms

You can drag and drop any number of clips or sequences into Adobe Media Encoder.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to henryfilms

I agree too. We need an easier way for batch exports. Make a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to henryfilms

Agree. Set up a watch folder, set your preset and output destination in Encoder (lower right corner), then add all your clips to the designated watch folder and Encoder takes it from there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to henryfilms

henryfilms wrote:

I went to Adobe's feature request page and made the suggestion twice.  BOTH times the effort returned a server error... Try back later.  Hopefully, Kevin can see that they're responding to this thread.

henryfilms,

I just did a test. The Feature Request/Bug Report form seems to be working. Please try it again. Sorry you had trouble.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to henryfilms

henryfilms wrote:

As to wfmc staffer's post, you simply can't drag clips from Premiere to AME on a MAC.  Tried to slice it a dozen ways and it doesn't work.

I was pretty disappointed too that there was no batch export from Premiere CS6 like I had in FCP, but today I realized that I could in fact drag a selection of sequences from within Premiere into the AME window that I had on a second screen, on my MacPro (10.6.8).

A couple strange caveats though:

- It doesn't always work.

- Usually AME will give me an error about not being able to import whatever I drag over UNLESS there is already something being actively processed in the queue.  If the queue is empty, stopped or paused I cannot add anything.

- Sometimes if I drag too many items (say 20 or more) it doesn't work either, AME will return an error.

Hopefully the next release has solid support for batch exports, but know that for now it is possible at least some of the time on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to henryfilms

+1

I also submitted a feature request. Note that this hasn't changed in CC.

To make it as simple as possible: it's possible to drag sequences over from PPro to AME, it's impossible to drag over clips.

Currently I have to project manage everything (which may require copying over to a new project), waste the drive space (thankfully I'm working on short projects, otherwise it'd be insane), and then drag the files over to AME. Doesn't make much sense.

I know that the development team is well aware of needed improvements to project consolidation and transcoding, so let's hope we see something in 7.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to DLpres2

There is another way that I learned recently to get batches of sequences into AME, the trick is you have to start from AME, go to the File menu, and select "Add Premiere Pro Sequence...", then navigate to your project file, open it, then select the sequences you want to import.  In CS6 at least the browser window is strange and doesn't seem to sort folders in any regular way so if you have a ton of folders it might take a minute to find your stuff but it does work. 

Saved a bunch of time since I started doing it this way, although I would still like to see a push from PP to AME implemented in the future, since opening the project from AME seems really slow, I suppose it is loading the entire project into the Dynamic Link Manager, but if I already have it open in PP I don't understand why it would take so long.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to henryfilms

Henry,

I would like to see your feature request. To be totally honest, while I think I understand what you want, I don't understand why you want it. Your workflow is foreign to me. I would like to understand it though.

What is the purpose of exporting clips? What codec are you converting from and to what codec are you exporting? Is this to create a Digital Intermediate of sorts, or am I missing something completely.

Would Prelude be a good choice, as Jim suggested? It is difficult for me to tell since I don't know exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Anyway, if you would be so kind as to humor me and explain it, I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Steven

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I'm not Henry :-) but this is required to migrate sequences and their media to other platforms (in our case, Resolve). The EDL / XML step is known, but the associated media needs to end up in a form that the target system can use. PPro can read more formats than most anything on the planet, so it's common to need to do some conversions.

In our case our footage is XDCAM EX and AVCHD, and Resolve processes neither of these in their native format. PPro's project manager gets us half the way there, AME can do the rest, they just don't talk to each other when it comes to clips.

Of course dragging a sequence over and telling AME to "transcode all the timeline's clips (with handles)" would be great, but what I'm asking for in the context of this thread is simpler.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to DLpres2

JUst a thought.

You may want to look and see if Clip Wrap may fit into your scenario. Saves transcoding and I know it works fine with AVCHD files (and Resolve)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to DLpres2

OK, so the answer is that a digital intermediate is necessary due to the limitations of other programs. Got it.

I suppose at that point I would look for a format that Resolve did accept, and was acceptable to Premiere Pro. That would allow a transcode before anything even made it into Premiere Pro and eliminate the issue completely, wouldn't it?

So, is there an acceptable codec that is not going to cause Premiere Pro a problem, yet is visually lossless?

I am not saying it wouldn't be convenient to do all of this in Premiere Pro, I am just wondering if Jim's suggestion to use Prelude isn't the better solution, or for that matter, change the wrapper as shooternz suggests, and eliminate a generational loss completely.

I personally have always been a big fan of the Cineform codec due to the way it uses wavelets instead of blocks. Can Resolve handle that? I know it handles the Cineform Stereoscopic files, but I am not so certain about the regular media, although it seems like it should, I can't find proof.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Using the  source file is desireable in an EDL type workflow due to timecode as well as lack of generational loss and even ...file size considerations.

AFAIK ..Resolve wont look at Cineform anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to shooternz

AFAIK ..Resolve wont look at Cineform anyway.

I checked the Resolve manual online and it handles the stereoscopic Cineform files. You have to get the Cineform software also, but it might be worth it if Resolve can handle the regular AVI files.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I have changed my workflow to use Prelude to cut and idenfify footage prior to using Premere.

After you get all of your scenes chopped and tagged you can batch export from Prelude and then I import that entire folder over into Premeire.

Its taken some time to get used to doing this, but now, I don't have to waste time in Premiere trying to get stuff organized.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to Smoothbassman

With the latest update (CC7.1), Premiere supports exporting multiple selected project items -- clips or sequences. Select them in the Project panel, then go File>Export>Media.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Hi - I just tried this but it doesn't seem to include in and out points or filters.  Are there any settings / steps I'm missing to be able to include trimming and filters to the exported clip?

When I tried exporting multiple clips, the entire clip was exported instead of the trimmed version.

When I tried exporting subclips, the clip was trimmed but no filters were included in the export.

I'm trying to batch export multiple trimmed, color corrected clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to jbircher

The only way to get an effect (filter) to export is to add that effect to a clip in a sequence and export that sequence.  This is because the only place you can add an effect is to a clip in a sequence.  Clips in bins cannot hold effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to jbircher

As for exporting clips using the in/out points rather than encoding the entire clip, I'm afraid the only option is to change the Source Range setting once the jobs are queued to AME--and that can be done only one output at a time.

When we adapted the Export Settings dialog for multiple export, we were not able to incude the Source Range control because it has different options for clips versus sequences, and we allow exporting a combination of the two. There are ways to manage this, but we simply didn't have time to implement one of them for the 7.1 release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you had to choose between a) being able to export a combo of clips and sequences in one operation, and b) being limited to exporting only clips or only sequences but, in return, having control of Source Range, what would your preference be?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I'd go with B myself.  It'd be a lot more work to change a bunch of settings individually than to Queue up two separate groups, one for clips and one for sequences.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Absolutely option B.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I'm using Premiere 7.1, and I want to make a digital intermediate like the other users, but I don't see how this is possible.  If I highlight all my clips in a sequence, and choose export media, it's going to export the entire sequence as a whole.  But I need to export each clip individually, so the timeline can be conformed in another software, such as Resolve.

Your post specifically mentions selecting items in the project panel.  But isn't the point of this feature to export after picture locking the edit?  If I shoot on a camera that's supported in Premiere, but not supported in Resolve (such as Sony FS700), I want to transcode only the necessary clips to ProRes 444 after locking the picture edit, I don't want to transcode all the hundreds of source files.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

Hey Elliott - I wrote a script that does this automically.  It will export each clip in a picture locked sequence by nesting each clip.  Feel free to email me at --- jeremy at storyandheart dot com  ---- and I can send it your way.

After you've run the script, you select all the nested sequences and export and voila!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

You can easily sort the bins by usage, and then choose only those clips that are used for batch export.

Or, you can use the new Direct Link to SpeedGrade feature and skip this step entirely.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2013 7:53 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim,

I have a few dozen sequences, so sorting by usage sounds impractical.  But your comment got me thinking, I could import the timeline to a new empty PP project, then go from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2013 8:04 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

Consider that many Resolve Suites have Clip Wrap as a solution.

Consider using Speed Grade (Direct Link)

Avoid using DIs or transcodes for grading unless unavoidable.  Original Source is always best.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to shooternz

Yes, I have been thinking about ClipWrap.  Haven't tried it yet, and I wonder how taxing it would be on the CPU to grade AVCHD.

Speed Grade's integration is indeed nice, but to say "original source is always best" is a gross exaggeration.  "Best" could refer to minimal generation loss, or software performance, or user experience.  Generation loss could be completely eliminated with an uncompressed DI.  In this case, ProRes 444 is close enough to lossless that I will happily accept it in order to use a more powerful grading tool that I am familiar with.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to Elliott B.

In this case, ProRes 444 is close enough to lossless that I will happily accept it in order to use a more powerful grading tool that I am familiar with.

Is the transcode to PR444 writing time code correctly?

Yes, I have been thinking about ClipWrap.  Haven't tried it yet, and I wonder how taxing it would be on the CPU to grade AVCHD.

Clip wrap has worked very well for me in Resolve Suites.  Its uses source material with a header re right. ie...No transcode and the timecode works for the EDLs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to shooternz

Exporting multiple clips at a time would produce files with zeroed timecode.  But as of today, with Premiere 7.2, that's fixed!  Unfortunately the export still strips all tape names, and it names the files using clip names instead of original file names.  Slow progress...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points