Skip navigation
KCav45
Currently Being Moderated

What file formats can I output to?

Apr 18, 2013 10:54 AM

I want to create short  vidoes that can be inserted into slide shows.  MS Power Point would not accept files in pref. format.  How can I convert output from Premiere to a standard format?

KC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to KCav45

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to KCav45

For PowerPoint, I would look at WMV, or AVI, and you should have some settings options for both.

Do you have SD (Standard Def), or HD (High Def) footage?

Also, see John T's links for some more options.

If, in the Publish+Share (or Share in versions prior to PrE 11) Tab, you do not see all the options, go to the little (hard to see) scroll bar at the right of the Share Tab, and scroll down.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

For PowerPoint, I would look at WMV, or AVI, and you should have some settings options for both.

Hunt

My granddaughter was doing a report on the Wright Brothers for a fourth grade assignment last year.  She found some old newsreels on YouTube, captured them, loaded them in PrE 10, clipped out the parts she wanted, output to WMV and did the rest in Power Point for her "oral presentation".  WMV worked great.  She got an "A".

When I was in the fourth grade we were supposed to use pencils.  Pens weren't allowed until later.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to whsprague

Yes! I cannot imagine how good a student I could have been, if only they had PowerPoint back then. Now, I aced every book report, but most of that was because I did artwork for the cover. As my father was an artist, I had access to a set of about 200 colored pencils, and all the art paper I could use. I even picked up extra $'s by doing artwork for other students' reports. Fun, rewarding and slightly profitable, but think of what would have happened, if I only had Photoshop and PowerPoint - "I coulda' been a contender... "

Congrats to your grandaughter!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to KCav45

Thank you for the step-by-step outline.

I am not familiar with the iPod Touch's video (wife has one, but do not think that she's ever used the camera feature?), but if you download and install the great, free file info utility, MediaInfo: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en (for PC), and run one of the files through it, you should get all of the details on the file. That would be useful in determining if you have the correct Project set up for that footage.

Now, processing WMV (either when trying to edit it, or Export/Share it) files will take some time, however that 1hr 20min. for an 8 min. Timeline, sounds extreme. That is why I wonder if there is a mis-match between the Source Files and the Project. If you started with an NTSC DV Standard 4:3 Project, I would NOT use any of the WMV HD (High Def) Presets, as that would instruct PrE to up-scale everything to HD, and THAT could take a very long time, plus yield less than desireable results.

Also, is that 1hr 20min. time what it actually took, or is that the projected time? Sometimes, the exporting module gets the estimated time very wrong, depending on the material being edited and the format/CODEC used to Encode.

Good luck, and let us know just a bit more, please.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

For a Share to WMV, from an NTSC DV Standard 4:3 Project, this is what I would choose:

PrE4_WMV.png

Unfortunately, I do not have PrE 3, so that screen-cap is from PrE 4.0, and your exact options might differ.

Now, knowing that Source Footage, will be helpful to determine if your Project is correct, or will entail extra processing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to KCav45

The actual time to save the project from Premiere was 4 times the estimate.

Do you mean Export/Share, or do you mean to actually Save the Project? They are two totally different operations.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to KCav45

The Save function updates the PrE PREL file, which is an XML database, with links to the media, and instructions on how that media is to be processed, upon Export/Share.

Export/Share follows those links in the PREL, to the media, then processes that via the instructions in the PREL, and outputs an AV file, to those specs.

Because those two very different terms are often confused, and used interchangeably, by mistake, I had to ask.

Thanks for clarifying the actual operation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points