Skip navigation
bethcanflyyy
Currently Being Moderated

Extension rename issues

Apr 18, 2013 2:23 PM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #adobe #bridge #filename #batch #extension #rename

Hello, I accidentally renamed a batch of images with a different extension that is now unrecognizable to photoshop.

First I forgot to make a folder to copy the images into so all the original pdf files were turned into ".jpgs", so then when I realized my mistake I tried to go back and rename the extension again to .pdf.

Am I right when I say that these ammended extensions are like aliases?

Please someone help me. These images are for a client. I just want to be able to edit my images in photoshop.

Thanks in advance,

Bethony

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to bethcanflyyy

Am I right when I say that these ammended extensions are like aliases?

No, you can replace the original extension using batch rename command and use the plus signs and options in the fields. As long as you are sure the files are original PDF you can safely rename them with '.pdf' and delete the .jpg. But you can't change the files extension itself by renaming as you already have experienced your self, for that you have to use a save as command and choose the extension needed.

And this is also a warning for you to be sure in having proper back up and don't hit to fast OK in batch renaming but look at the preview for the name first

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points