Skip navigation
Speliers1
Currently Being Moderated

Having problems with pencil tool into paths

Apr 18, 2013 5:49 PM

Tags: #illustrator #merge #one #layer #paths #tool #into #pencil

Hello, I have been struggling with this problem searching for an answer for 2 days but I just can't find anything so this is my only option I have left.

I drawed a text with my Bamboo Tablet using the Pencil tool in Illustrator but the problem is that when I draw them it inserts all the paths in a sub-layer (like if they where different paths), here is a picture of what I mean:

Screenshot_4.png

But what I want is for all the paths to be in a single layer like this:
I want it to be the same way as the picture below, it's just that since I drew it 3 different times in the first one it made 3 seperate paths, so I want it like the image below but in just one layer.

Screenshot_5.png

And that is only possible if I draw straight without spaces, for what I need this is so I can import properly into Cinema 4D without trouble converting into 3D since if I import the .ai file without the paths being in a single layer it disproportionates the text and just doesn't look right so I need the handwriting paths in the first image to be like in the second image (in 1 layer) I've tried almost everything from Pathfinder, Release to layers (Sequence), Merge selected and some other options but nothing seems to do it.

I would really appreciate if someone could hit me up with a solution since it would be extremely helpful, thanks very much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2013 9:46 PM   in reply to Speliers1

each time you pick up your stylus, you will create a new path. The only good way to write a word, all as one path, would be to write in cursive and never pick up your stylus. You can group each of those paths together but that won't be one path, it will just be one group. The way i see it, and this is probably not what you want to hear; you can write your words, convert all of the paths to outlines, and in the pathfinder pallete, merge them into one path.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to Speliers1

Select all the component paths and Object > Compound Path > Make?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to Speliers1

...it inserts all the paths in a sub-layer…

Those three paths are not in a sublayer. They are three OBJECTS in a single top-level Layer. (That's why they are labeled "<path>".)

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Speliers1

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status