Skip navigation
pr42354235
Currently Being Moderated

.avi files in prem elements 11

Apr 19, 2013 3:45 AM

Tags: #video #11 #premiere_elements

An error message apears after import" not supported codec is req'd " in prem elements 11.

I purchased the software to use with .avi files which were listed as compatible on the web site.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to pr42354235

It depends on where they came from. AVIs can be made up of any of thousands of codecs. AVIs produced by third-party software programs often use proprietary codecs that are very difficult to work with.

What model of camcorder is your AVI coming from and what resolution is it? How did you get it from the camcorder to your computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to pr42354235

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, the AVI format can have almost anything within it. It's like saying "I have a car, and it won't run." The first quetion would be, "what kind of car is it?" It could be a Ferrari, or a Chevy Volt. Lots of differences.

For more background, and for tips on finding out what is in the AVI, see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

If you can let us know what is inside the AVI "wrapper," someone can give you tips on how best to handle that material.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to pr42354235

What did you find in that AVI "wrapper?" Did you run one through MediaInfo, or G-Spot?

My first guess would be DivX, or its open source cousin, Xvid.

However, we've seen some other CODEC's, that are not traditional to AVI, inside.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points