Skip navigation
Y-town Lloyd
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Which Preset to Use for Viewing on a Windows 7  Computer

Apr 19, 2013 6:20 AM

I'm using CS6 on Windows 7 and have .mts files that are approximately 35-40 minutes each. I need to get these to someone else so they can view them on a Windows 7 machine. The original files are 1440x1080. I thought if I exported them using the AVI preset it wouild knock the size down considerably (I have to upload these to an FTP site so they really should be fairly small file sizes). Unfortunately, it's only about 1/5 of the way through the first file (approximately 7-8 minutes) using Media Encoder and the file is already 1.5GBs! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to get these out today!

Thanks,

Lloyd

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to Y-town Lloyd

Filesize = Bitrate x Number of frames.

Use a codec like H.264 that is very effective in compression, reduce the number of frames as much as possible while still acceptable, for instance 15 fps, and reduce the bitrate to give you acceptable file sizes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Y-town Lloyd

I'd just go with a YouTube or Vimeo preset.  They'll work fine for computer viewing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to Y-town Lloyd

400MB for 35 minutes is tiny. My normal exports for YouTube are over 60Mb per minute! My camera records at 540MB per minute so that is a LOT of compression.

Who worries about bandwidth and file sizes anymore? Really?

If your client is still using a dial up connection, then perhaps you need to deliver on DVD. Or, as suggested, use a private setting on YouTube.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to Y-town Lloyd

All the more reason to upload to Vimeo or YouTube.

20 hours of training means several days of training, say 3 to 5 days. Make DVD sets to reflect the different days. Day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. and use between 2 to 4 DVD's per day in a single multi-disk box. That keep it organized and high quality.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points