Skip navigation
Photoshoprint
Currently Being Moderated

Best GPU and Photoshop Preferences

Apr 19, 2013 8:03 AM

Tags: #web_design #anti-aliasing #vertical_sync #high_quality #web_optimization #photoshop_preferences #graphic_card_settings #crisp_images #image_interpolation #graphic_optimization

Hello,

I am wondering how can I achieve the best of my graphics card. I have a 6490M AMD Radeon, an i3 Sandy Bridge Processor at 2.2GHZ and 8GB of RAM. I am not looking for making Photoshop work the fastest possible. I know what computer I am working with. What I need are the best settings for my graphics card (anti-aliasing, vertical sync etc.) all those settings that you can change from Quality to Performance. How do they influence Photoshop ? I would also like to know what are the best settings for Photoshop Preferences. Most of my work circles around Web Design (files with many layers and low resolutions).

Can someone recommend me a guide, or something to optimize my GPU so I can achieve the most crisp and high quality images when I deliver them ?

Thank you !

P.S. I am using Photoshop CS6 Extended.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 11:23 PM   in reply to Photoshoprint

Don't bother. If the driver is installed and configured properly, PS will auto-configure to make best use of the resources. Only play with the settings, if you experience problems. Likewise, graphics drivers will auto-configure when installed and make the best of the system's resources. Noel Carboni might have to say a thing or two about which AMD driver is the best, but beyond that you realyl shouldn't waste a second thought on this or endless time pushing knobs. In fact you may only screw it up that way and then have to reset to factory defaults eventualyl one way or the other...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to Photoshoprint

Download and install the ATI Catalyst 13.3 beta 3 driver.  As of this writing that's the best version for Photoshop currently released.  I've been running it for a month and it's solid and quick with Photoshop CS6 Extended.

And Mylenium is right; pretty much you want to leave your Catalyst settings on "Use Application Settings".  The overrides are more for gaming.  These are the settings I'm using:

ScreenGrab_04_20_2013_141427.png

AMD Overdrive should be left off if reliability is important.

With my 7850 I can turn everything on in the Advanced Photoshop settings, though you will find the [ ] OpenCL setting getting shut off on its own if you switch back and forth between using the 32 and 64 bit Ps applications.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points