Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS CS6 often not saving psd to server

Apr 19, 2013 7:52 AM

Hello,

one of big problems which arise after update to CS6 is with Photoshop - we are agency, we have workflow based on servers and with CS6 now we have quite often issues with saving on server. After few hours of work there is no more possible to save to server, you must restart PS. With all previous versions of PS there were no such problems like with CS6 (we used CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5). Users are switching back to CS5/5.5, but for me it seems quite unbelievable that this kind of errors occurs in such frequent manner. I understand, that Adobe don't guarantee 100% functionality when using with server, but it would be great to maintain at least some quality level across all versions. For us it means that investment in CS6 upgrade have lover value than we expected. And no, "save locally and copy to server" is not usable to our workflow, it will slowdown users too much.

I really would like to know, if Adobe plans to improve quality of PS CS6. We don't want to upgrade to CS7 just because it maybe will work...

Martin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

There are many known bugs in MacOS when working with file servers.

Apple is fixing some of those bugs, and we are pursuing workarounds for as many of them as we can.

CS5 did not have as much error checking as CS6, and missed some of the problems - making you think that it saved the file successfully when the OS actually failed to save the file.  Switching back means you would lose even more files, you just wouldn't know about it immediately.

It sounds like you might be running into the MacOS fileserver temporary folder bug: where multiple users with the same user ID on the server can cause the OS temporary folders to get deleted while they are still in use by other users.

Yes, we're disappointed with all the MacOS fileserver bugs as well. But we can't fix Apple's bugs, and it takes a lot of time to diagnose and confirm all of Apple's bugs once we get reports from users.  Then we have to spend even more time working around Apple's bugs (because they would only be fixed in the next major OS version).

But we are working on ways to avoid the Apple filesystem bugs that we know about.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

>> Today my colleague just sit in front of Photoshop and tried when he can save and when not - few minutes it was possible, then another few not. For me, as a person responsible for smooth IT operations of our agency, this drives me nuts, as you can understand

That still sounds like the temporary folder bug - it'll work at first, then fail once another user disconnects from the server, then work again once someone connects and recreates the temporary folders.  This is because the OS creates the temporary folders by userID number and doesn't ref-count them, just deletes them when someone disconnects from the server.  That leaves everyone else (on the same user ID number) with a reference to a folder that no longer exists.  Check the user ID numbers being used on the server. I'll bet most are using the same 501 (default) id number.

10.6.8: you probably want to move off that soon, if you can.

The OS bugs affect many different fileserver protocols - there are both generic and protocol specific bugs (worst are SMB and NFS).  We don't really have any recommendations.

We are doing what we can to avoid the known Apple filesystem bugs.  Apple is fixing some of their bugs as well, in future OS versions.

And yes, OS bugs like this frustrate the heck out of us.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points