Skip navigation
BMurr2
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign to PDF to Word

Apr 19, 2013 8:27 AM

Tags: #acrobat #word #pdf #indesign

I am trying to bring Indesing docs to PDF and through Acrobat I am saving them as Word docs. When i open them in Word they come out with some problems. The images have missing pieces adn they opacities are off. They deffault to 100%. I want to know if there is a way to prevent this. Are there anyhtings I can do in indesign or how the PDF is Saved? Or will i jus thave to replace the images in Word?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to BMurr2

Were you actually expecting this to be perfect? If so, I suggest your

remove that thought from your head.

That said, what settings did you use when exporting the PDF?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to BMurr2

I need more than default. It sounds like a flattened PDF my be at fault. What is the Acrobat compatibility?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to BMurr2

And this was an export, right? You didn't print to PDF or distill?

Can you post screenshots of the problem?

Bob

BMurr2 <mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Friday, April 19, 2013 1:06 PM

>

Re: InDesign to PDF to Word

created by BMurr2 <http://forums.adobe.com/people/BMurr2> in

/InDesign/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5251206#5251206

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to BMurr2

It would be a lot easier with the PDF.

Some ID PDFs don't translate out of Acrobat well. Fact of life. I use the  Export as Word (DOCX) command. Acrobat XI does better than previous versions in my experience. But some images simply don't do well once in Word.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to BMurr2

Sorry, no, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention. Some transparency works with some images, some don't do well. Heck, AI doesn't always like ID PDFs for that matter.

And I have only did this X number of times as it simply isn't a good workflow. I have only tried it after the fact as a shortcut to building a Word template. Usually I know ahead of time and so export from PS or AI with that in mind (one set for ID, one for Word specifically) and favor exporting images and or build-ups of images as single PNGs when destined for Word.

I haven't see the dropout that you are experiencing. What PDF flavors are you using?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to BMurr2

Hmmm...when I see the way these have broken up and lost their transparency, combined with the types of basic shapes involved, I  suspect these are all native-drawn InDesign items, as opposed to placed graphics or images. It just looks like their object-level properties are being lost/flattened/misinterpreted, which I wouldn't expect to happen with self-contained, linked files.

While I don't relate to the logic of your workflow, (nor do I know whether my presumptions are true), if this was mine, I'd try giving those items a layer of parse-protection by "double-baking" them. Export pages with these problematic items to a flattened PDF. Then, assuming the problematic items look correct in the resulting PDF, replace the original problematic items with placed-pdf versions before exporting to the whole thing to PDF to Word. I have no ideal whether it will work, but I'd try it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to BMurr2

@BMurr2

Flavors = versions, types

Sorry. Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)