Skip navigation
georges desrues
Currently Being Moderated

Disapeared folder in Bridge

Apr 19, 2013 9:19 AM

I moved a folder into an other folder and Bridge told me that there was already a folder with that same name in there (which is impossible) and if I wanted to replace it. I said yes and now the folder is gone. It is nowhere on my computer. Where could I find or restore it?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to georges desrues

Moving/copying/deleting files and folders with Bridge is the same as doing through the OS (Win Explorer or Mac Finder).

I think the best thing to do would be to do a search of the hard drive for the folder name, just in case the folder got moved somewhere else accidentally.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to georges desrues

Users can be fooled where the folder goes, but it is unlikely it is deleted.   It may be in a folder as subfolder so run a find for a known picture.  Use the option to search non-indexed folders as it probably is not indexed.  Also start search hi enough to find it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to georges desrues

Bridge is just a browser.  It will do just what you ask.  It does not delete things on its own.   If you deleted folder it  will be in trash.  If not, it is still on compouter.  Without seeing what you did or how you are searching that is all I can offer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 22, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to georges desrues

I repeat that it asked me if I wanted to replace a folder with a folder with the same name.

Can you specify your problem a bit more?

What OS, what Bridge version and where both folders on the same internal disk.

Did you have a back up?

As Curt already stated, Bridge is a browser, if you move a folder and it asks you to replace it it does so in the same way as it does on your OS. The folder panel reflects your Finder (mac) or explorer (win) and if you give a replace command it replaces the folder.

Sometimes, when in a hurry the folders get misplaced in the above or underlying folders, if you gave the command to replace the folder it replaced the folder regardless of the content. But the folder should still be somewhere.

Do you have the option to search for hidden files and folders, trash etc.?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Apr 22, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to georges desrues

I had just downloaded the pictures (therefore no back-up) they were organized in 3 different folders, a

Did you use Photodownloader on a cardreader for this.

I still find it hard to believe the files and folders are gone due to move in Bridge.

However first download Easy Find ,freeware, you can find it here:

http://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html

And be sure not to empty the trash.

I hope you will find them with Easy find, it is just a matter of knowing a filename part or date and let it run including packages and invisible files, just try some options.

And for the future (it maybe won't help you now but we all have had to learn from our mistakes) here is my workflow, maybe this is also suitable for you.

Use a card reader to import the files from the card itself instead of directly from camera

Use Adobe Photodownloader for this job.

This has several options, here are my settings:

I select one main folder for my files

renaming them with shot date (yyyymmdd-sequence number)

convert to DNG

back up the original raw to another disk (or location)

add a metadata template on import for general copyright info

Never, I repeat never!! use the option to delete the files from the card on import!!!

First check if the thumbs have build and randomly check some previews to see if nothing is wrong.

Make a back up of this newly imported files (do you have Time Machine active, you might find them there also)

And when all this is done you can think about formatting your CF card in camera using the camera software.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points