Skip navigation
EGParadigm
Currently Being Moderated

Hanging Indents – First Line, New Para: double tab?

Apr 19, 2013 9:27 AM

Tags: #hanging #tab #indents

Hi All,

Very limited experience with InDesign, so please forgive.

I have a template for Word that I am trying to reproduce in Indesign for a book project:

Screen shot 2013-04-19 at 17.20.03.png

I have used hanging indents here to separate someone's initials from their speech in a transcript. By using a single tab character at the beginning I can achieve this. However, in InDesign, I seem to have to use two tab characters for every new paragraph – is it possible to have indesign behave the same way as Word?

Screen shot 2013-04-19 at 17.20.58.png

Up to this point I have been following 'Create a hanging indent': http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-6dbba.html

Any help much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to EGParadigm

That has to be one of the less helpful help topics.

You need only one tab in the paragraph, the one between the initials and their speech. Everything else is handled via indents, and this is best handles in a Paragraph Style (an you actually need two styles if there is more than one paragraph per person), in the Indents and Spacing screen in the style definition dialog.

For the initial paragraph, first set the Left Indent value. That's how far in you want the speech text to be from the edge of the frame. Next set the first line indent to a negative value, thypically the same number, so the initials are set flush left in the frame. You can add Space Before or Space After here, too, if you want the the paragraphs spaced as they are in your first example. Now go to the Tabs screen in the dialog and set a left-aligned tab at the same position as the left indent.

For the following paragraphs, your new style can be based on the first style, but set the first line indent to 0. That's the only thing you need to change here, but you can delete the tab if you like (or not, as at this point it will never get used).

If there are always at least two paragraphs, you can set the second style to be the Next Style for the first one (in the General Screen). If the number of paragraphs may vary, stop with two styles and set "same style" as the next style for your second style. If there is always some fixed number of paragraphs, you can create a style for each one (based on one another) and set the next style into a rolling loop so the last paragraph has the style for the first paragraph as its next style. taht way you can just type away and never have to reapply a style. Each time you hit the Enter key the next style will be applied to the new paragraph.

As far as I recall, this is really the same way it should be done in Word.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points