Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Activation server shut down for Creative Suite 2, Acrobat 7, and Macromedia products

Jun 10, 2013 8:59 AM

Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers.  While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.

If your software is affected by the activation server shut down then you will receive an error that the Activation server is unavailable.  The specific affected products are as follows:

• Acrobat 7.0 - Windows
  • After Effects 7.0
  • Audition 3.0
  • Captivate 1.0
  • Contribute 2.0
  • Contribute 3.0
  • Creative Suite 2.0
  • Director MX 2004
  • Dreamweaver MX 2004
  • Fireworks MX 2004
  • Flash Paper 2.0
  • Freehand MX
  • GoLive CS2
  • GoLive 9.0
  • Illustrator CS2
  • InCopy CS2
  • InDesign CS2
  • Macromedia Studo MX 2004
  • Photoshop CS
  • Photoshop CS2
  • Photoshop Elements 4.0
  • Photoshop Elements 5.0
  • Premiere Pro 7.0
  • Production Studio Premium

The activation server being shut down will not affect currently installed and activated Adobe software.  You will only face this difficulty if you need to reactivate the software.

To remedy this difficulty we have made available a version of these software titles that does not require activation for Users who have previously purchase the affected software.  For additional details and specific links to the software please see:

Error: Activation Server Unavailable | CS2 products, Acrobat 7 - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html

Error: Activation Server Unavailable | Macromedia branded products - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/macromedia-legacy-ac tivation-error.html

If the software title you have purchased is affected by the activation server being shut down, but is not available for download in the previously referenced pages, then please contact our support team at http://www.adobe.com/support/chat/ivrchat.htmlPlease be aware our support team will not be able to provide assistance for downloading or installing the Creative Suite 2 software.

System requirements

Creative Suite 2 software was only designed to run in the following operating environments:

• Mac OS X v.10.2.8–v.10.3.8. PowerPC® G4 or G5 processor
  • Microsoft® Windows® 2000/Windows XP. Intel® Pentium® III or 4 processor

Extraction instructions

If you are receiving a message to insert disc two please see the following extraction instructions:

In the English version of the software the file CreativeSuiteCS2Disc2 extracts to C:\Creative Suite\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\.  CreativeSuiteCS2Disc1 and CreativeSuiteCS2Disc3 both extract to C:\Creative Suite CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\.

Please copy the contents of the C:\Creative Suite\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\ folder to the C:\Creative Suite CS2\Adobe Creative Suite 2.0\ folder and you will no longer be prompted to insert disc two.

Additional information

Some Users have reported success getting Creative Suite 2 to install under Windows 7 64-bit.  Please see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_pro grams/windows-7-is-not-compatible-with-adobe-photoshop/6f1b4955-7166-4 b8f-ad9b-5d19150f803f for more information.

Still facing installation difficulties?

If you are experiencing an installation issue with the software currently available I would recommend creating a new thread in the Downloading, Installing, and Setting up forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup.  If you can please make sure to include the following:

•          What software are you trying to install?

•          Which operating system are you using?

•          Was the software previously installed prior to downloading the non-activating version currently available?

•          What specific error messages are you receiving when trying to install?

Please also see the original discussion on this topic at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4919014#4919014.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Does this same problem exist with CS3?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

What if you have CS (not 2)? Can you download CS2 legally? Trying to activate CS but keep getting the error.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to bighitter94

Oh Boy, me too!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 1:00 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I bought the full set Adobe CS2 years ago. Now my old hdd is failing me and i realised activation can't work now.

I tried to download the full set of Adobe CS2 from the referred links. And during the installation. It didn't allowed me to click and select the 4 softwares. It gave me * marked for those 4 softwares. * marks meant that these softwares are already installed outside the suite. They will not be install and will remain in their current locations. But the problem is, I have already uninstalled them...

Giving up on trying to install the full set, I downloaded individual Illustrator CS2.

It also gave me error and will stop installation by giving me the following message:

Install ShieldWizard Completed

The wizard was interrupted before it adobe illustrator CS2 could be completely installed.

Your system has not been modified. To completed installation at another time. Please run setup again.

Click finish to exit wizard.

Can anybody help me on this? Any advise be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:57 AM   in reply to vidzed

vidzed, you need manually track and put to trash almost everything what have adobe in name, in application folder on your HD, in library folder, user folder, then again try install CS2 from files what you downloaded. I had same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 3:28 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Thanks Waldemar and Jeff for your kind reply. I have tried to remove any related adobe names but it seems quite a difficult task to track all. Maybe a clean reinstallation of OS on a new HDD will do the job. Thanks for advises once again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2014 10:07 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hi.  I downloaded Adobe After Effects CS2 from https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads, and I have removed all of the previous Adobe After Effects files from my computer.  When I enter the serial number listed for After Effects (on the site the hyperlink goes to), I get the error shown below.   I entered the serial number without hyphens and am using Windows 8.  I entered the Windows version serial number. I tried using the software on my Windows XP computer, but I get the same error.  I downloaded Photoshop CS2 from that page, and the serial number for that worked.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2014 2:49 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Glad you posted this. I have After Effects 7.0 stand-alone (not a part of any CS--I have CS3 that I bought separately), and had to install it on my new computer after my old one bit the dust.  It is running OK, but I only have about 25 more days until it has to be activated, which of course I can't do.  So how do I activate this software--or how else do I handle?  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2014 2:34 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hi, folks. I'm trying to get my copy of CS2 running again after a major HDD failure. My new configuration is running Windows 8.1, and the download and installation both run fine, but as soon as I try to launch Photoshop I get an error message reading:

"Your Adobe Photoshop user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit."

There's no option to do anything other than click "OK," and the message appears every time I try to launch the program. The other CS2 applications won't even go past a personalization pop-up on launch, and entry of the serial number from the download page is rejected outright. This is the same issue that I had initially when I tried to launch the programs following my initial re-install from the disks.

Any idea how I can remedy this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 10:04 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hi Jeff.

Are you sure this applies to CS 8.0? I can sign in and go to http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-act ivation-end-life.html but it only lists CS2 products. We never purchased CS2, only CS 8.0

How do we download the special version of CS 8.0 which does not require activation technology?

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 2:55 AM   in reply to Neil Cookeson

Are you sure this applies to CS 8.0?

Yes, it applies to CS also.

How do we download the special version of CS 8.0 which does not require activation technology?

There isn't one for CS. Only for CS2 which is also available to CS owners.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 4:47 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Jeff,

I am still needing an answer to my question if you could.  What about stand-alone After Effects 7.0, not part of any CS.  I am running out of time since installing on my new computer, and have no way to activate it.  Help?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 11:43 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I installed CS2 from the downloads, thanks for pointing out the fix for insert disc 2, it  worked fine. I used the downloads because I was told I could not update from our purchased disc version. Now I am trying to update to 4, and then 5, both of these are purchased upgrades. When I put in the first disc it initializes then ask me for my serial number. I tried both the number from the downloaded CS2 and the number from our original purchased software. Both tell me they are invalid.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)